The Cafe at Mudd

The outside of Mudd’s Cafe!

We’ve all heard great things about the Hoch. Mudders are lucky to have such great meals on campus—but what about when they’re hungry between meals? Introducing Mudd’s own Cafe.

Let’s say I have an 8 a.m. class, and it’s a Monday. I’m not exactly the most energetic person, and caffeine is high on my wishlist. Luckily, the Cafe next to the Shanahan building here at Mudd boasts its own built-in Starbucks where I can order everything from the seasonal Irish Cream cold brew to the classic vanilla latte. In fact, prices are subsidized—so much so that each drink is about a dollar cheaper than in typical Starbucks stores! I can also use the flex dollars that are built into my meal plan, meaning a simple scan of my ID is all I need to grab my drink.

Starbucks drinks aren’t the only things available at the Cafe. After a long string of morning classes, there’s a chance I haven’t eaten yet and am craving some breakfast. Then, the Cafe comes to the rescue again. This time, with its diverse lineup of bagels, muffins, pastries, and breakfast sandwiches, I’m sure to find a warm breakfast option to enjoy. In the refrigerated section, I also notice greek yogurt cups, cereal, instant oatmeal, and milk. It’s almost hard to decide!

I haven’t exhausted all the food options there yet. Let’s say I get hungry a few hours after lunch. Among all the prepackaged food, there’s a wide array of drinks from Naked smoothies to Kevita kombucha to Voss sparkling water for me to indulge in. The Cafe also has ready-to-go snacks: whether it’s ham and cheese sandwiches or caesar salads.

It doesn’t even stop at food! In the corner of the store, there’s also a rack with Harvey Mudd merch: everything from jackets, t-shirts, beanies, to tumblers. In fact, there’s also two laptop stickers that are $1 each, an easy way to spend any remaining flex at the end of the week. The merch is also a great last-minute gift for family and friends who might want to represent Mudd outside of Mudd. 

Best of all, the HMC Mobile Order app allows me to order ahead of time, skipping the long lines that might appear during rush hour. In fact, I can schedule pickup times for my order, so I can have the exact drink I want, at the exact time I want!

Despite its small size, the Cafe at Mudd is truly versatile. If you choose to come to Mudd, you might be spending your fair share of flex dollars here—which, in my opinion, is not a bad choice!

Text reading "This blog was written by Serena Mao, Social Media Intern"