President’s Scholars Program
The President’s Scholars Program (PSP) is a renewable, four year, full-tuition scholarship program that identifies and encourages outstanding first-year students who have the potential to be future leaders in engineering, science, mathematics and technology, and who are from backgrounds that are traditionally underrepresented at Harvey Mudd College or are the first in their families to attend college.
Each incoming first-year President’s Scholar will receive a full-tuition scholarship to Harvey Mudd, renewable for four years (subject to satisfactory academic progress).
President’s Scholars Program award recipients are ineligible for the Harvey S. Mudd Award.
To be eligible to be selected as a President’s Scholar, you must:
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Demonstrate a potential for leadership at Harvey Mudd College.
- Show a proven record of academic success, including a rigorous course schedule and excellent grades and be among the top students in your secondary school.
- Be a first-year applicant for admission to Harvey Mudd College.
Special consideration is given to students from groups that have been traditionally underrepresented in the STEM fields, including women, ethnic minorities, students from low income backgrounds, students with disabilities and students who will be the first in their family to attend college.
How to Apply
Candidates for the President’s Scholars Program (PSP) must submit the online PSP Application, including the Statement of Purpose. Your PSP Application must be received by January 20.
Early decision candidates are required to commit to Harvey Mudd College and withdraw, in writing, their applications to other colleges by January 15 (or March 15 in the case of Early Decision II). Because President’s Scholars are not notified of their selection until mid to late April, candidates whose commitment to Harvey Mudd is dependent upon winning the President’s Scholars Award should apply via Regular Decision.
Application Review Process
Once we receive your application:
- The selection committee will review all students who have submitted both an application for admission to Harvey Mudd and the application materials for the President’s Scholars Program.
- A group of finalists will be selected and contacted to schedule an interview specifically for PSP. The interviews will be conducted at Harvey Mudd College in mid April.
- Award recipients will be selected and notified within a week of the on-campus interview.
Number of Recipients
The College strives to enroll approximately eight President’s Scholar Program recipients in each incoming first-year class.
Qualities that would strengthen one’s candidacy for PSP include:
- Exceptionally strong high school preparation, including evidence that the applicant has actively sought out learning opportunities beyond those normally available at his or her school
- Indications that the applicant has overcome personal obstacles to achieve academic success
- Evidence of leadership in school, church or community organizations
- Evidence that the applicant demonstrates intellectual curiosity and an exceptional sense of responsibility and self-reliance
- Evidence that the applicant has the personal qualities and motivations that would allow him or her to especially benefit from what Harvey Mudd has to offer.
- Net Price Calculator
- Financial Aid @ HMC Portal
- Admission and Financial Aid Announcements
- Downloadable Forms
- Handshake Job Search
- CSS Profile
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Institutional Documentation Service (IDOC)
- Direct Loan Exit Counseling
- Direct Loan Exit Counseling Guide (PDF)
- Consumer Information Disclosures
- Outside and Private Awards
- Understanding Your Financial Aid Package (PDF)
- Federal Direct Loans (PDF)
- Contact Financial Aid
Personal Information in Emails
Be sure to redact all personal identifiable information (PII), such as, social security numbers, date of birth, etc. when sending documents via email.