If you’re not a citizen or permanent resident of the United States, you must apply to Harvey Mudd College as an international student. International applicants follow the same application procedures as our domestic First-Year and Transfer applicants. Below is a list of additional items that Harvey Mudd College either requires or recommends from international applicants.
- Required: Translated credentials. You must provide English translations of any credentials not in English.
- Recommended: A profile of your secondary school. This may include information about the structure of the course system (the required number of classes, the number of hours per course, the number of lab science courses, etc.), the grading scale, the rigor of the academic program and the reputation of the school. We welcome any information that helps put your record into context.
- Required: Proof of proficiency in English. International students must demonstrate proficiency in English.1,2 English proficiency can be demonstrated by taking one of three exams:
- Duolingo English Test (DET)– only the 160-point version
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)– the iBT Home Edition and iBT Paper Edition
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic
Submit by self-reporting on your application or the HMC Applicant Hub, or requesting an official score report. Only admitted students who choose to enroll at Harvey Mudd College will be required to submit official score reports.
1 If the school the student attends uses English as the primary language of instruction, we will waive this requirement.
2 We can waive this requirement only after you have submitted your application.
HMC reserves the right to evaluate an application and render a final decision even if all pieces of the application have not been received.
International Students and Financial Aid
Harvey Mudd College offers financial aid to a small number of admitted international applicants. Because funding for international students is limited, your level of financial need may affect your chances for admission if you apply for financial aid. International students are not eligible for federal financial support. Please be advised:
- Competition for funding is high. We are able to meet 100% of a family’s demonstrated need for only a handful of international students.
- If you enter Harvey Mudd College as an international student who does not need financial aid, you won’t be eligible to apply for aid in subsequent years.
- Harvey Mudd does not offer funding for international transfer students. An international transfer student may only apply to Harvey Mudd College if he or she is not applying for financial aid.
For more information visit International Student Financial Aid.