Federal Grants

When you fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), you are automatically considered for need-based grants offered by the federal government. If you are eligible, these awards will appear on your financial aid package. These grants do not need to be repaid. Below are types of federal grants.

Federal Pell Grant

This program provides need-based federal grants to students based on their family contribution, as determined by the federal government. Recipients must not have already received a bachelor’s degree. Grant amounts vary. During the 2021-2022 academic year, the annual award amounts range from $650 to $6,495. There is a limit to the total amount of Pell Grants that a student may receive.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

The FSEOG is a need-based federal grant available to students with the most exceptional financial need who have not already received a bachelor’s degree. Preference is given to Federal Pell Grant recipients who apply for financial aid by Harvey Mudd’s published deadlines. Funds are limited and the annual maximum FSEOG award is $4,000.

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant

Available to undergraduate students who are not Pell-eligible but whose parent lost his/her life as a result of military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after September 11, 2001. To qualify, students must have been either under 24 years of age or enrolled in college at the time of their parents’ death. Financial need is not a requirement. Award amounts are based on the maximum Pell Grant award for each year and cannot exceed the cost of attendance. Funding is subject to the federal appropriations process.