Undocumented Students

Undocument students are students who live in the United States and are not U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents and who don’t have an Alien Registration Card, visa or other legal documentation; this includes students or their families who entered the country legally on tourist or work visas and chose to stay after their visas expired.

Undocumented students must apply for financial aid at Harvey Mudd as an international student. For additional details and the requirements for applying for international financial aid, please refer to the International Student Financial Aid page.

The California Dream Act

Effective January 1, 2013, California Dream Act students may be Cal Grant eligible at Harvey Mudd if all California Dream Act and Cal Grant eligibility criteria are met. Because of this, undocumented students attending Harvey Mudd are expected to apply for the Cal Grant using the California Dream Act Application by the published March 2 deadline. Harvey Mudd will not reimburse Cal Grant eligible students with Harvey Mudd scholarship resources if they are found ineligible for the Cal Grant by failing to complete the California Dream Act Application by this deadline.

Visit CSAC’s website for more information about the California Dream Act and the application process for undocumented students.This application is not related to the federal Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program.

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) is a federal process that defers removal action of an individual by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for a specified number of years.

  • It is not the same as financial aid
  • It does not grant lawful immigration status
  • It does allow individuals to apply for an SSN and work authorization

For more info about DACA visit: USCIS

For additional information about obtaining outside scholarships specifically for DACA students, please visit our Outside and Private Awards page.