International Student Financial Aid

If you’re not a citizen of the United States or do not have a Permanent Resident Card and number issued by the United States Department of Homeland Security, you must apply for need-based financial aid as an international student.

As an international student, you are not eligible to apply for federal or state financial aid (except under the California Dream Act of 2011). However, Harvey Mudd College does provide financial support for a limited number of full-time enrolled (at least 12 credits) international students each year. We offer need-based financial aid in the form of the International Student Scholarship. International students are also eligible to apply for some of Harvey Mudd College’s merit-based awards, including one offered exclusively to international students (So Scholarship).

Please note that all students, including international students, who receive scholarships in excess of tuition, fees, books and supplies are subject to U.S. federal income tax withholding by Harvey Mudd and are required to file a U.S. federal income tax return. We make every effort to assist international students with the additional financial obligation of U.S. taxes.

In addition, international students are required to participate in the Claremont Colleges’ Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP). For more information about this program and its costs, please refer to our Health Insurance page.

If you do not apply for or do not receive financial aid as a first-year international student, you will not be considered for financial aid in future years at Harvey Mudd. If you are awarded need-based financial aid, your financial need will be reassessed annually.