Transfer Applicants

Harvey Mudd College is postponing our launch of the new Coalition for College-Scoir application. We will only be accepting the Common App in 2022–23.

Important: We do not accept applications for mid-year transfers. All new students begin in the fall semester.

Is a transfer to Harvey Mudd right for you?

Harvey Mudd College and its students form a unique community. If you’re deciding whether to apply for a transfer to Harvey Mudd, consider whether the following applies to you:

  • You have completed a significant number of courses that are compatible with courses in our Common Core Curriculum regardless of your past academic experience.
  • You are willing to complete at least two years as a full time student at Harvey Mudd (this is a requirement).
  • You are interested in joining a residential campus community. Living on campus is not required, but nearly all students live on campus all four years.
  • You exhibit a genuine desire to take advantage of the Harvey Mudd and Claremont Colleges communities beyond the academic offerings.

Required Materials

  • Common Application or Coalition Application. Harvey Mudd does not have a preference between the two applications.
  • $70 application fee or fee waiver. Fee waivers are available to those who demonstrate financial need. Request a fee waiver through the Common Application or Coalition Application. The application platform may ask your counselor to complete a fee waiver form to affirm your request. We also honor fee waivers from the ACT, College Board, and NACAC.
  • Required Additional Writing. An additional essay and short answer response is required.
    1. Please discuss your educational path. How will continuing your education at a new institution help you achieve your future goals? (300 words or less)
    2. “Scientific research is a human endeavor. The choices of topics that we research are based on our biases, our beliefs, and what we bring: our cultures and our families. The kinds of problems that people put their talents to solving depends on their values.” – Dr. Clifton Poodry. How has your own background influenced the types of problems you want to solve, the people you want to work with, and the impact you hope your work can have? (500 words or less)
    3. Many students choose HMC because they don’t want to give up their interests in the Humanities, Social Sciences and the Arts – or HSA as we call it at HMC. Briefly describe what you’d like to learn about in your dream HSA class. (100 words or less)
  • Mid-Term Report. Required if currently enrolled; this form includes mid-term grades and faculty comments. This form is waived if you are not taking courses in the spring term.
  • College/Transfer Report. To be completed by an advisor, dean of students or registrar.
  • Two Recommendations. To be completed by college instructors.+
    1. Math or science college instructor
    2. Humanities or social sciences college instructor
  • Official transcript from current college or university. We also require transcripts from all previously attended colleges or universities.
  • Official final high school transcript. We also require official transcripts from all other high schools you may have attended.

+ Having this evaluation completed by a primary Instructor is preferred, but we understand in some instances this may be difficult to obtain. In such cases, an evaluation completed by a graduate/teacher’s assistant will be accepted.

HMC reserves the right to evaluate an application and render a final decision even if all pieces of the application have not been received.

Recommended Items

  • Campus visit: Mudd is a unique place, so we recommend you visit campus before you apply. While we don’t offer interviews for transfer students, you’re welcome to chat with an admission representative by phone or email if you have any questions.
  • Supplemental recommendation: If you have not had the opportunity to develop meaningful relationships with the faculty at your current institution, one additional recommendation may be submitted from a recent high school teacher (within the last two years). This will not replace either of the two required college instructor evaluations.

Transfer Eligibility

Students are eligible to apply as transfer students if they will have completed at least one year of full-time academic work (in good standing) at a two- or four-year college or university by the academic term for which they apply.

  • Second Bachelor’s Degree. Harvey Mudd doesn’t have a second-degree program, so we do not admit students who have already earned a bachelor’s degree from another institution.
  • International Transfers. International students are eligible to apply for transfer admission only if they are not seeking financial aid.

Credit for Completed Courses

The Harvey Mudd College registrar provides an estimate of credit status to admitted transfer students a few days after they receive their official letters of admission. Official placement decisions are made by our faculty during Orientation in the fall. Keep in mind that transfer students may be expected to take some placement examinations. Please contact us for your specific questions about transferring credits.