Aanya: Thoughts on Freshman Year

Freshman year is coming to an end and I feel like it’s gone by so quickly. There have definitely been times when I thought everything was moving too fast for me to be able to keep up, but I’ve enjoyed the majority of the past year when I have been able to keep pace with the academics and endless events at Mudd.

When I first got to campus, I was excited but also a little nervous about the completely novel experiences that would be coming my way. Mudd had been my dream college for a while, so I had tried not to hype it up too much in my head, but it still exceeded so many of my expectations.

One of the best parts of the past year was definitely the sense of community in every aspect of life at Mudd. Everyone from students to faculty were welcoming and easy to talk to and I immediately felt like I belonged here. As an international student, this definitely had a big impact on making me feel comfortable in a completely new environment.

6 girls smiling with the balcony of a building in the background
Me with friends during a Holi celebration at CMC!

Although the academics were pretty challenging at times, I felt like all the work was worth it. In hindsight, I can see how much I have learned over two semesters, academically and beyond. My professors were always supportive and accessible and it was great to find that I enjoyed my coursework, even in classes I was hesitant about at first.

Another component that made my freshman year really great was getting involved in  extracurricular activities available on campus. Joining clubs and organizations gave me the opportunity to meet new people and have exciting experiences outside of the classroom. Whether it was volunteering for a cause I care about or participating in a club event, these experiences have been some of the highlights of my year.

Adventure Club trip to Death Valley!

Looking back on my freshman year, I’m really grateful for all the experiences I’ve been able to have. The past year has succeeded in making me excited about the next few years and I’m looking forward to upholding the welcoming community at Mudd for next year’s freshmen.