How to Choose???

Share story

Decisions, decisions, decisions… At this point, students applying to college for the 2023-24 school term have most likely gotten the majority of their decisions back. This may feel like a relief, but one’s application journey isn’t truly over until they commit to a college. How are you supposed to pick the perfect college for you? That’s what I’m here to help with! Here are some of my tips to help you figure out the next four or so years of your life.

Photo of buildings with students walking
Mudd’s campus! Photo credit: HMC

Things to consider:

1. Community

The biggest draw to Mudd for me was its community. I knew that I wanted to attend a small school with a close-knit community, and Mudd has proven to be all that and more. When choosing a college, consider what you’re looking for in terms of community. If a tight community is important to you, then Mudd might be the place for you!
  2. Educational Opportunities

This is arguably the most important thing to consider when deciding between schools. I liked the fact that I’d be able to do research at Mudd and work directly with my professors, as undergraduate research that is easily accessible is something that Mudd offers that is not commonly found at other universities. I advise looking into a school’s curriculum and making a list of what you like versus what you dislike about it to help compare schools.
  3. Location

Location can be more important in a college decision than one may expect. If you’re a city person, Mudd’s surrounding area might be a little small and quiet. However, LA is easily accessible and is perfect for day trips! In my opinion, we get the best of both worlds.
Sign reading "Claremont Farmers and Artisans Market"
The Farmer’s Market that happens every Sunday in Claremont is popular with Mudders! Photo Credit: Malia Morgan
  • Financials
    Financals can play a large role in one’s college decision. It can be difficult to justify going to a dream school that is more expensive while a more affordable one offers the same degree. Mudd tries to meet 100% of every student’s demonstrated need.
  • I hope this helped with finding an approach towards choosing the best school for you! As a final word of advice, talk to current students or alumni of the schools you’re looking to attend. Getting an inside look on how current students view their school was a huge help for me with my decision to apply ED for Mudd last year. Good luck, and if you feel that Mudd is the right fit for you, I hope to see you around campus next year!

This blog was written by: Miranda Lau '26. Intended major: chemistry. Bellevue, WA