Intramural Sports at Mudd

Knowing how academics at Mudd can be time-consuming, one of the things that positively surprised me was Mudders’ participation in sports. Besides having friends in CMS (Claremont-Mudd-Scripps) teams, the Intramural Sports were one of the extracurricular activities which my friends enjoyed the most last semester.

A group of students on intertubes in the pool

Drinkward 1 team playing Inner-tube Water Polo. Photo: Shreya Balaji.

Intramural Sports are open and free for students, faculty, and staff from Harvey Mudd, Claremont McKenna, and Scripps Colleges. The modalities include inner-tube water polo, flag football, volleyball, soccer, basketball, softball, golf, swimming, tennis, bowling, and ultimate frisbee, with games occurring throughout the school year.

For my roommate Avani Anne ‘25, participating in the intramurals was a stress reliever and a source of fun during her first semester at Mudd. In our room, we would always have a moment or two during the week when she would excitedly tell us about how she made a basket or how she convinced someone new to play in our dorm’s team.

As an enthusiast of the Intramurals, Avani agreed to share a bit of her experience with the HMC Admissions blog 🙂

Did you play any sport during high school?
Not really, I tried badminton for a year, but I wasn’t very good at it and then I got occupied with other things in the following years.

What made you participate in the Intramurals?
I started to exercise the summer before coming to Mudd and I wanted to keep doing something during the school year. The Intramurals seemed low commitment and a great opportunity to get to know people.

What did you play?
Grass volleyball, 3v3 basketball, and inner tube water polo (with floaties).

How did you join your teams?
At Harvey Mudd, each dorm has different intramural teams based on interest. Either you can join these teams or make a team with friends from Mudd or other schools. As Drinkward’s dorm jock, I was team captain of some of the Drinkward 1 teams, which was a lot of fun and also motivated me to be involved.

How was the experience?
It was definitely a stress reliever since I had a sport to do at least twice a week. I had fun and got to know people from Mudd and other schools. In particular, I had a lot of fun p

laying water polo and directing people in sports I had no idea how to play.

Encouragement for people to join Intramurals?
You should tell them to join because it’s really fun. And if you join our team maybe we will win! – said Avani, who didn’t win yet (but she has been training, so we have faith for the Spring semester!)