Ask a Mudder: Food on Campus and “Mudd Moments”

Where are the best snacks on campus?

“The answer to this question is highly dependent on the time of day. During the day, my favorite place to find snacks is deep within the Libra Complex, the system of interconnected basement levels where Mudd has many of its labs and clinic spaces. In the center of the libra Complex, pretty well off the beaten path, is a pair of old vending machines — one for drinks and one for snacks. The beauty of these vending machines is that the prices apparently haven’t been updated since they were installed. You can get a coke or a bag of chips for like 50 cents! However, after dinner time, the best place is by far Jay’s Place! This is the late-night snack bar/cafe on Mudd campus where you can get anything from coffee, sodas, ice cream, candy, chips, pizza, churros, sandwiches, and more! It’s definitely the premier snack location on campus — the only downside is they’re only open from about 7pm to 1 or 2am. Perfect for late night cravings, but not as useful during the day.”

“Jay’s chicken quesadilla.”

A bowl of salad and burrito mixings
A Hoch salad. Photo Credit: Serena Mao

What is the best meal the Hoch serves?

“The best meal in my opinion is brunch! I love the omelets, chicken, and waffles!”

“The best meal at the Hoch by far is Korean Tacos on Wednesday nights! It is so tasty and the provide a variety of options for protein from pork or chicken to tofu!”

“I love making my own salad from different stations!”

“The burrrito bowl”

“Risotto. Rice, cheese, and vegetables. What more could you want?”

What is the most “Mudd-y” moment you’ve had?

“For lab research, I used to move as quickly as I could from second floor parsons to the libra complex cold room with a test tube of dissolved chitosan. I had to do it multiple times a week so I started recording my best times and optimizing how fast I could open doors and set up beakers in the cold room.”

“During Special Relativity, I recall a specific moment during lecture with Prof. Lynn. In particular, we were talking about how Special Relativity has wild implications for our understanding of momentum, energy, and matter.

Picture me, a perky little Frosh, sitting in the very front of a giant lecture hall during Special Relativity. I remember Prof. Lynn’s poise and clarity as she lectured. Methodically, systematically, she drew diagrams, referenced slides, wrote equations, manipulated equations, and made logical deductions. From a humble assumption that the speed of light was the same for all observers, Prof. Lynn demonstrated something absolutely shocking.

Towards the end of a long lecture, Prof. Lynn, with purpose and finality, drew a box around her last equation, and paused. Then she said ‘Look! Conservation of Mass is false!’ You heard that right. Conservation of Mass is false. In rare cases, mass can transform into energy, which means Conservation of Mass is false. I’m repeating it so many times because I cannot emphasize just how mind-boggling, paradigm-shifting, and reality-warping this was to me at the time.

I let out a quiet ‘whaaaat???…’ under my breath. I recall Prof. Lynn gave me a little look. To be fair, I was sitting in the very front of the lecture hall, so I shouldn’t be surprised that she heard me.

At least, that’s how I remember things happening.

I have a good friend at Mudd who was struggling in Special Relativity, so he sat at the very back row of the giant lecture hall to avoid being cold-called. In his recollection of events, towards the end of long lecture, Prof. Lynn, with purpose and finality, drew a box around her last equation and paused. Then she said ‘Look! Conservation of Mass is false!’ Then, he heard one perky little Frosh, in the very front of the giant lecture hall shout ‘WHAT!?!?!?!?!?’

Looking back, that look that Prof. Lynn gave me makes a little more sense now.”

Written by Malia Morgan