Hochsgiving – My favorite Mudd Holiday!

Hello friends!

Our dining hall, the Hoch-Shanahan Dining Commons (the Hoch for short) does special stuff for holidays. Before thanksgiving break, we have Hochsgiving!

The Hoch has special food – they serve a lot of classic thanksgiving foods instead of whatever’s in the normal rotation. Like these yummy things:

There’s a few things in that picture. One of them is green beans with hollandaise sauce drizzled over the top. I’m not sure whether those two things are ‘supposed to’ go together, but it tasted good, so why not??  I’m not exactly sure what’s in the middle there, but I think it’s some  boiled potato? I remember it had a mushy texture and a savory/salty flavor. It was yummy! On the bottom right corner, those are mashed potatoes with some cranberry sauce over the top. Again, I’m not entirely sure those things are supposed to go together, but it tasted good!

Not pictured above is the Spanakopita the Hoch was serving! Spanakopita is a Greek food that I think is described as a spinach pie. One of my friends in high school would make it sometimes, and I haven’t had it since then. So, when I saw it at the Hoch, I thought of my friend and got excited! While I did enjoy it, I have no idea if it tasted authentic. Here’s a random picture of Spanakopita I found on the internet:

The most exciting part of Hochsgiving though is the bread and cheese tables they bring out!!!:

And for dessert, they have special pies:

But probably most flashy of all, is that they bring in a chocolate fountain for hochsgiving!! A real chocolate fountain! Like, imagine a fountain of water, but chocolate instead:

(I’m realizing that the flashy, high-quality, awesome picture of the chocolate fountain is probably much nicer than the one I actually took.  Oops)

Of course, the Hoch also had turkey for thanksgiving.

The food at hochsgiving is nice, yes. But my favorite part of the whole affair is getting to see all my friends!

– Mason “<3 <3 <3” Acevedo