[Muddletics]: Aarthi Talks Soccer

Contrary to popular belief, students at Harvey Mudd can and do play sports. Whether on on Varsity for CMS, club sports with all of the colleges, or intramural sports with your dorm, there are a lot of opportunities for students to both continue to play the sports they love in high school or pick up something new during their time at Mudd. For today’s blog, I sat down and talked with Aarthi ’21 about her experience with the CMS Women’s Soccer team.

Picture of Aarthi wearing a red shirt that says CMS Soccer in gold letters blow a grey Nike checkmark. She is smiling and wearing a grey headband.

Photo of Aarthi ’21 courtesy of CMS athletics

The Interview

How long have you been on this team?

“Two years”

How competitive is your team in league?

“I’d say pretty competitive. I think any game is definitely winnable.”

Could you give a few highlights from this past year?

“This year beating Pomona at home, because I think it was the first time beating them at home in 3 years. That was pretty sick.”

How’s managing the workload between the curriculum and athletics?

“At times, it’s tough, but definitely helps a lot with time management skills.”

Could you talk a bit about the people you’ve met through this team?

“I think that’s one of the best things about the athletics program here. You’re meeting different people, not just Mudders. So, it really allows you to diversify your community.”

Can you talk about your experience with the Pomona-Pitzer Cross Campus Rivalry?

“Definitely competitive, but at the same time I feel like off the field it’s not as cutthroat, but on the field it’s completely different.”

Is there anything you’re looking forward to next season?

“I think it’s the same as always. Ready to be on the field with really good friends, compete, and win SCIAC.”

What’s one piece of advice you would give to students who are looking to pursue sports at Harvey Mudd?

“Definitely take advantage of all the resources that Mudd has to offer. I know academically sometimes it can be hard to manage your time, but having things like AE [academic excellence], office hours and all that. Like, take advantage of all of that because you never know when you’re going to need that.”