A Normal Tuesday of a [non-Engineering] Junior

Hi, I am Eleanor, a junior joint Physics-Math major. Recently, I was brainstorming blog ideas when I noticed that there have only been 2 blog posts (from 2016 and 2013) that outline a day in the life of a Mudder. Furthermore, these were both written by Engineering majors. This was a clear message to me that we needed an updated perspective, and maybe one from a non-Engineering major. So, here it goes: a day in the life of a non-Engineering Junior. A Tuesday, to be specific (because Tuesdays are the best).

Before we start, here is an overall view of my week. What this calendar does not include are the various tutoring and office hours that I attend regularly to get help on my homework. Most of my classes are concentrated on Mondays and Wednesdays, which gives me time on Tuesdays and Thursdays to do the bulk of my work.

A schedule from 8am to 8pm, Monday through Friday. Statistical Mechanics is Monday Wednesday from 11-12:15pm, Theoretical Mechanics is Monday Wednesday from 1:15pm-2:30pm, Math Forum is from 4:15-5:30 on Mondays. Critical Geographies is from 2:45pm-5:30pm on Wednesdays. Math Analysis is 1:15pm-2:30pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Admission Office work is from 10am-12pm on Tuesday, and Physics Research is 1:30-6pm on Fridays.

Eleanor’s Schedule

7:00am: Alarm goes off. Hit snooze

7:09am: Snooze alarm goes off. Hit snooze

7:18am: Snooze alarm goes off again. Hit snooze again

7:27am: Snooze alarm goes off again. Finally wake up, eat toast, get dressed

7:45am: Meet with my friend Katie to go to Augie’s in the village to get some work done. They have the best coffee, and on Tuesday you get double punches on your punch card. Today, I am studying for my Theoretical Mechanics quiz tomorrow. Katie is working on her Comp-Bio assignment

Friend Katie is on the left working on her laptop; notebook open with physics notes for studying

Work set-up at Augie’s

9:45am: Head back to campus in time for my work shift at 10 in the Admissions office. During my shift, I write blog posts, edit blog posts, and work on other HMC Admissions social media sites. (Peep the draft of this exact blog post in the photo)

Desk in Admissions office with a view of the Founder's Classroom

Workspace in Admissions Office

12:00pm: Head back to my dorm to make lunch. Because I live in Linde (which is “super” far from the academic buildings), I make sure to stop at West Dorm to say hi to some of my friends.

Friend Neeta hides behind her laptop while friend Tom makes a funny face

Friends at West Dorm, Neeta and Tom

12:30pm: Cook lunch! I have a kitchen in my suite, so I chose to be off the meal plan. Today, I am having some leftover black beans, rice, peppers, and LOTS of Valentina.

A bowl of black beans, rice, avocado, and Valentina hot sauce sitting in front of two extra large bottles of Valentina hot sauce

My delicious lunch

1:15pm: My first (and only) class of the day: mathematical analysis. I really like this class, and I have a good amount of friends in my section. Today we learned about countability and cardinality of sets.

Notes about implications of countability: not enough computer programs to produce all real numbers

Notes from Analysis

2:30pm: Class has just ended, so I head over to the Stauffer lounge in the Physics department to get some work done. I enjoy working on my physics problem sets in this lounge because it is close to my professors’ offices in case I have any questions or need help (which is all the time)

Friend Rachel reading a physics textbook; work is spread all over the table

Working in Stauffer Lounge

5:00pm: After getting some work done, I go hang out in my suite (friends not in picture). We have lots of stuff on our wall and we like colorful lights

Lots of pictures and records on a wall surrounded by purple LEDs

Inside my suite

5:45pm: I meet with Katie again (we have lots of Tuesday traditions, probably why it is my favorite day of the week) to go to dinner at The Spot on Foothill. We love eating here because Tuesdays are buy 1 get 1 free of the same meal! I forgot to take a photo of the food when we got it, so here is a photo of our 75% eaten veggie wraps

Katie and I holding our 75% eaten veggie wraps

Food from The Spot

6:45pm: After dinner, I finish up studying for my Theoretical Mechanics quiz tomorrow.

7:30pm: Gym! I enjoy working out in the evening after I have done most of my work so that I am not stressing about the things that I need to get done. I like to go to Roberts at CMC because they have the most weight racks and machines.

9:00pm: Time to finish up the rest of my work. I have a problem set and a reading response due on Wednesday, so I double check that I have those completed.

10:00pm: Hang out with friends in my suite until I am tired and want to go to sleep

12:00am: Go to sleep!