Hi everyone! It’s Hannah again, back talking about one of my favorite aspects of Mudd: clubs! We offer a wide array of clubs here at Harvey Mudd, from Cheese Club and Barbeque Club to Adventure Club and DUCK!, our improv group. For a full list of all the clubs you could join on campus and a brief description of each, check out this link!
This blog today is just focusing on one club that is near and dear to my heart: The Muddraker! The Muddraker is Harvey Mudd’s student newspaper and one of the best parts of my Mudd experience so I compiled a list of the top 10 reasons (in no particular order) why everyone should join.
10. People actually read the articles we publish online and in print! It’s really fun to walk into the dining hall after printing another issue and see everyone reading and discussing the content. My favorite part is going to morning classes with huge stacks of newspapers and passing them around for everyone to read.
9. We print 1000 of each paper, so there’s plenty for everyone in your family (plus anyone else you want to impress, like your boyfriend’s parents or your high school college counselor).
8. You get to know lots of cool people involved in printing papers, including the printers (who sometimes let us submit the paper late when we’ve been editing up until the last minute) and people in the Harvey Mudd communications office (who have great advice about creating a publication).
7. You figure out all kinds of ways to advertise for the paper. My friend sent me this photo from Mod Pizza where an anonymous Muddraker fan wrote “Join the Muddraker!!!”
6. We’re everywhere! This fall, during Harvey Mudd’s hardware hackathon, Muddhacks, we lasercut the Muddraker’s logo. We’re always looking for fun activities to do with our team members like boba or bowling!
5. We have all kinds of different articles, depending on what our writers are interested in, including interviews with interesting professors (in a recurring section titled PROFiles), a playlist of pre-game songs chosen by Mudd’s football players, and a profile on all the different food clubs we offer at Mudd (see beginning of post for more on food clubs)!
4. You can get free food when making ads for companies. Ads are also a great way to interact with the community and get funding to do cool things like bowling!
3. We play bananagrams!
2. You interview and get to know really interesting people at Mudd! We have a recurring article titled PROFiles where students can talk to professors about their hobbies, college experiences, and reasons for teaching at Mudd. Additionally, writers often interview students engaged in different aspects of campus life (check out our PROFiles articles on our website to learn fun facts from some of our cool professors).
1. The Muddraker is like one big family! I love spending my evenings talking to other staff members about future articles or doing layout with my friends for our print publications. Every weekend, we get together to eat snacks and work on articles or just do homework together. Everyone is really nice and supportive of one another!