Oke Poke

A wild contender appears! Ladies and gentlemen, a new rivalry has formed in ye olde Claremont. A poke place called Oke Poke is set to go toe-to-toe with Poke Dot, and the competition shall be fierce, fiery, and delicious. I can’t stress it enough, the likes of this rivalry is witnessed but a handful of occasions a lifetime. This encounter brings to mind Yankees/Red Sox, Zeus/Hades, and Harry Potter/Voldemort, among others, though the intensity here is sure to raise the game to a whole new level. Bringing you only the highest quality investigative journalism, in this blog I share with you my first experience at Oke Poke. (If you don’t know what poke is, take a moment to reflect on your life and how you ended up in such a predicament, and then catch up by reading my other poke blog!)

Tucked away in a cute shopping center close to campus, Oke Poke’s site differs greatly from Poke Dot’s bustling location in the center of town. Like any poke place however, they’re all laid out very similarly, with a bar you shuffle along to order your food. I, personally, shuffled along this bar and had a custom poke bowl made. I got a bowl with a plain white rice base, 2 scoops of salmon, and 1 of tuna. Toppings included seaweed salad, cucumber, avocado, and onion, among others. I also got the house sauce, and it was on fleek (I hear that’s what the kids are calling it these days).

The staff were amiable and the food was excellent. I have yet to get Oke Poke vetted by my Hawaiian roommate aka poke expert (again, see previous blog for details), but upon first impression there are no glaring differences in quality between Oke Poke and Poke Dot. At this point, it comes down to personal preference. Oke Poke doesn’t mix all the toppings in with the sauce, while Poke Dot does. Oke Poke offers more selection in general and is slightly more generous with toppings, but Poke Dot seems to have their process more streamlined and is more generous with the rice base- it’s a give and take. Also, Oke Poke is about a dollar cheaper for the standard three scoop bowl. So, as of yet, no conclusions. Like a good scientist, I’m going to get more delicious data to analyze. Tune in later for more Poke (and I guess Harvey Mudd College?) related blogs.