A Walking Tour of the 5Cs

Share story

Harvey Mudd is part of a consortium of schools in California known as the Claremont Colleges. The colleges share resources with the each other, like the books available at the Honnold Mudd Library or the Student Health Center, and are physically close together. They are so close that students from any one of the 5Cs can take classes at the other four. I, as well as many other students, walk between them frequently for class, food, and meetings, so I decided to give a picture tour of a loop I took through the colleges the other day, starting at Mudd.

walk_1

This is a picture of the Shan from the sidewalk behind ti. I was walking back from the grocery store (just a few minutes down the road) when I took it.

walk_4

After dropping off the groceries at my dorm, I moseyed on over to Pitzer, the closest (arguably, depending on your dorm) campus to the residential end of Mudd. This is the Grove House, where students can buy lunch using flex (a form of credit that comes with the meal plan).

walk_5

This is the side of Pitzer’s dining hall, McConnell. Behind the plants is a patio where students can eat outside.

walk_6

After walking through Pitzer, I ended up on Claremont Mckenna’s campus. Roberts Pavilion, seen here, is the new fitness center that Mudd students can use.

walk_7

This building on CMC houses The Hub, a popular spot to spend flex on snacks.

walk_8

The Cube is a cool study spot on CMC. Mudd students do not have swipe with their ID cards, but their CMC friends do!

walk_10

Once I had traveled south through CMC, I walked onto Pomona’s campus. One of their dining halls, Frary, is in the building on the left. 5C students can use meals from the meal plan at any of the other school’s dining halls as they please.

walk_12

Bridges Auditorium, or “Big Bridges,” is a venue located on Pomona’s campus. The ICCA semifinals (for a Capella) have been held here in the past, and once Taylor Swift performed after Mudd won a competition.

walk_14

As I walked back uphill from Pomona, which is the southernmost campus, I ran into the Honnold Mudd Library. Some classes require you to check out books there, but it is also a quiet study spot.

walk_15

I walked on the edge of CMC on my way back to Mudd. This is the Kravis Center, where many CMC classes are held.

walk_17

The last 5C I went through was Scripps College, full of beautiful Spanish architecture. They also have many fruit trees that you can pick from!

walk_19

One of my favorite spots on the 5Cs is the Scripps rose garden. In the spring there are many more roses, it smells wonderful to walk through!

walk_20

The walls of the rose garden contain art from past classes that graduated from Scripps.

walk_21

And I finally made it back to Mudd! This is the center of the Shan, and the Office of Admission is in the right corner on the same level as the picture was taken. Stop by for a visit during the school year!