Application Materials and Requirements
Transfer Application Requirements
- Common Application or Coalition Application. A personal essay is required for either application. Harvey Mudd does not have a preference between the two applications.
- $70 application fee or fee waiver. Fee waivers are available to those who demonstrate financial need.
- Required Additional Writing. An additional essay and short answer response is required. Preview the required additional writing topics and questions.
- Mid-Term Report. Required if currently enrolled; this form includes mid-term grades and faculty comments.
- College/Transfer Report. To be completed by an advisor, dean of students or registrar.
- Two Recommendations. To be completed by college instructors+.
- Math or science college instructor
- Humanities or social sciences college instructor
- Official transcript from current college or university. We also require transcripts from all previously attended colleges or universities.
- Official final high school transcript. We also require official transcripts from all other high schools you may have attended.
- All standardized tests results (SAT, SAT Subject Tests, ACT, TOEFL/IELTS) that you have already taken. Submit if taken within the last five years. If you have not taken any of these exams, you are not expected to do so now. Submit by self-reporting through the Common Application, Coalition Application or HMC Applicant Hub, or requesting an official score report. Only admitted students who choose to enroll at Harvey Mudd College will be required to submit official score reports.
- Course descriptions. Copy the course descriptions from your college’s catalogue. Include all completed coursework. Your in-progress coursework can be entered in the Mid-Term Report. This is used for a preliminary credit evaluation.
+ Having this evaluation completed by a primary Instructor is preferred, but we understand in some instances this may be difficult to obtain. In such cases, an evaluation completed by a graduate/teacher’s assistant will be accepted.
Beginning with the high school class of 2021, Harvey Mudd will no longer require SAT Subject Tests.
Read full announcement.
HMC reserves the right to evaluate an application and render a final decision even if all pieces of the application have not been received.
- Testing: While we won’t ask you to take a new set of standardized tests (SAT, SAT Subject tests, ACT, etc.), we ask that you submit scores for any you have taken in the last five years. If you choose to take some new standardized tests, the SAT Subject Tests are most help to us, especially the Math Level 2 subject test.
- Campus visit: Mudd is a unique place, so we recommend you visit campus before you apply. While we don’t offer interviews for transfer students, you’re welcome to chat with an admission representative by phone or email if you have any questions.
- Supplemental recommendation: If you have not had the opportunity to develop meaningful relationships with the faculty at your current institution, one additional recommendation may be submitted from a recent high school teacher (within the last two years). This will not replace either of the two required college instructor evaluations.
Frequently Asked Questions
What should I do if my advisor, dean of students or registrar doesn’t know me very well? Can I substitute another recommendation for the College/Transfer Report?
The College/Transfer Report doesn’t need to be a personal recommendation. It serves to assure us that you are in good academic and social standing and have not violated any school policies.
How many transfers does Harvey Mudd College admit?
Our transfer applicant pool is often small yet highly competitive. Each year, we receive more than 50 transfer applications, admit fewer than 5, and enroll fewer than 3 transfer students.