Application Materials and Requirements
Transfer Application Requirements
- Common Application. Submit along with your $70 application fee.
- Required Additional Writing. An additional essay and short answer response is required as part of your Common Application for Harvey Mudd College. Preview the required additional writing topics and questions.
- Transfer Mid-Term Report
- College Evaluation. To be completed by an advisor, dean of students, or registrar.
- Two Academic Evaluations. To be completed by college instructors+.
- Math or science college instructor
- Humanities or social sciences college instructor
- An official transcript from current college or university. We also require transcripts from all previously attended colleges or universities.
- Final Report and an official final high school transcript. We also require official transcripts from all other high schools you may have attended.
- All standardized tests results (SAT, SAT Subject Tests, ACT, TOEFL) that you have already taken. Submit if taken within the last five years. If you have not taken any of these exams, you are not expected to do so now.
Submit by self-reporting through the Common Application or the HMC Applicant Hub, or requesting an official score report. Only admitted students who choose to enroll at Harvey Mudd College will be required to submit official score reports.
- Printed course descriptions. Copy the course descriptions from your college’s catalogue. Include all completed coursework. Your in-progress coursework can be entered on the Common Application midterm report. This is used for a preliminary credit evaluation.
+Having this evaluation completed by a primary Instructor is preferred, but we understand in some instances this may be difficult to obtain. In such cases, an evaluation completed by a graduate/teacher’s assistant will be accepted.
- Testing: While we won’t ask you to take a new set of standardized tests (SAT, SAT Subject tests, ACT, etc.), we ask that you submit scores for any you have taken in the last five years. If you choose to take some new standardized tests, the SAT Subject Tests are most help to us, especially the Math Level 2 subject test.
- Campus visit: Mudd is a unique place, so we recommend you visit campus before you apply. While we don’t offer interviews for transfer students, you’re welcome to chat with an admission representative by phone or email if you have any questions.
- Supplemental recommendation: If you have not had the opportunity to develop meaningful relationships with the faculty at your current institution, one additional recommendation may be submitted from a recent high school teacher (within the last two years). This will not replace either of the two required college instructor evaluations.
Frequently Asked Questions
What should I do if my school’s dean of students doesn’t know me? Can I substitute another recommendation for the College official’s report?
The dean of students’ recommendation doesn’t need to be a personal recommendation. It serves to assure us that the applicant is in good academic and social standing and has not violated any school policies. An advisor or another school official who has access to your academic and disciplinary record can complete the college official’s report.
How many transfers does Harvey Mudd College admit?
Our transfer applicant pool is often small yet highly competitive. Each year, we receive more than 50 transfer applications, admit fewer than 5, and enroll fewer than 3 transfer students.