Applying for Admission as an International Student

International applicants follow the same application procedures as our domestic First-Year and Transfer applicants. Below is a list of additional items that Harvey Mudd College either requires or recommends international applicants include with their applications.

Required Application Materials

Additional Materials

  • Required: Translated credentials. You must provide English translations of any credentials not in English.
  • Recommended: A profile of your secondary school. This may include information about the structure of the course system (the required number of classes, the number of hours per course, the number of lab science courses, etc.), the grading scale, the rigor of the academic program and the reputation of the school. We welcome any information that helps put your record into context.
  • Required: Proof of proficiency in English. International students must demonstrate proficiency in English.1,2 English proficiency can be demonstrated by taking one of three exams:
    1. Duolingo English Test (DET)– only the 160-point version
    2. Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)– the iBT, the iBT Home Edition, the Paper-based Test
    3. International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic

    Submit by self-reporting on your application or the HMC Applicant Hub, or requesting an official score report. Only admitted students who choose to enroll at Harvey Mudd College will be required to submit official score reports.
    1 If the school the student attends uses English as the primary language of instruction, we will waive this requirement.
    2 We can waive this requirement only after you have submitted your application.

  • Required: International Student Certification of Finances (PDF) The International Student Certification of Finances form must be submitted on or before December 1 for Early Decision I applicants, January 20 for Early Decision II applicants, and February 15 for Regular Decision applicants. To facilitate processing, please send the completed International Student Certification of Finances and all supporting documentation as one multi-page PDF to

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the minimum scores for the TOEFL and IELTS exams?

  • Duolingo English Test (DET)– 120 on the new 160-point scale
  • TOEFL– 100 on the iBT
  • IELTS Academic– 7.5

Note: A score that is slightly lower than the minimum does not automatically disqualify an applicant.

There’s no college counselor at my school and we use a different educational system than U.S. high schools. How will you understand my academic background?

A recommendation from an advisor, housemaster, head or assistant head of school can be sent in lieu of the school report/counselor recommendation. This will help provide context for understanding your past performance. It’s helpful to know what kind of opportunities you’ve had in your school, such as the structure and rigor of your academic program (how many courses required, length of the courses, etc.), grading patterns and scale, the quality of the students and the school’s reputation. We’re also interested in your non-academic activities and accomplishments and the impact you’ve had on others both in and out of class. Without this information, we’re forced to rely more heavily on grades and test scores, and this goes against our desire to assess our applicants as people, not as statistics. The fact that you have been educated in a different school system may suggest that you offer intellectual diversity to the College.

I attend high school in the U.S., but I’m not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. Do I apply as a domestic student or an international applicant?

For the most part, there is no difference between how an international student or a domestic student applies for admission to Harvey Mudd. The process is the same for both.

The difference is in terms of financial aid. Regardless of where you live, if you are not a US citizen or permanent resident, you will need to apply for financial aid as an international student. We are need-blind in the admission process for our domestic students but are need-aware for international students. If you have only been attending high school in the US for a year or so, we may ask for the results of an English language proficiency test.

Will my chance for admission be affected if I apply for financial aid as an international student?

Yes, we are need-aware for international students. We are able to support a few international students seeking financial aid, but they are not many. An international student’s chance for admission improves if they do not apply for financial aid.

I’m a U.S. citizen (or permanent resident), but attend secondary school overseas. Am I considered an international applicant?

While we will read you as part of the school community to which you belong, we’d consider you as a domestic student for the purposes of financial aid. This means that you would be read as part of our need-blind admission process. We understand that you may have had a different set of academic and personal experiences than our domestic applicants and will take that into consideration as well.