Required Application Materials
Your First-Year Application
- Common Application or Coalition Application. A personal essay is required for either application. Harvey Mudd does not have a preference between the two applications.
- $70 application fee or fee waiver. Fee waivers are available to those who demonstrate financial need. Submit a letter from your counselor to request one. We also honor fee waivers from the College Board and NACAC.
- Required Additional Writing. An additional essay and short answer response is required. Preview the required additional writing topics and questions.
- School Report and Counselor Recommendation submitted by your counselor
- Teacher Recommendation from a math or science teacher
- Teacher Recommendation from a humanities, social science, or art teacher
- Official High School Transcript
- College/University Transcript (if applicable). This is not required for any ungraded college enrichment program/courses.
Beginning with the high school class of 2021, Harvey Mudd will no longer require or consider SAT Subject Tests (see full announcement).
For students applying to enter Harvey Mudd in the fall of 2021 and 2022, our admission process will be test-optional for SAT’s and ACT’s (see full announcement). We recognize that many students will not have the opportunity to test at all or to the extent that they would like. Therefore students will have the option of having their application reviewed without the submission of SAT or ACT scores. Students who choose not to submit scores will not be at any disadvantage in our process.
For students who choose to submit test scores, you may submit by self-reporting through the Common Application, Coalition Application or HMC Applicant Hub, or requesting an official score report. Only admitted students who choose to enroll at Harvey Mudd College will be required to submit official score reports.
- Final recommended test dates. We understand that testing spaces will be limited, and we will be as flexible as possible in working with students who choose to submit their scores.
Early Decision I – November test date
Early Decision II – December test date
Regular Decision – December test date
- Admission Interview. For information on how to arrange an interview, see the interviews page.
HMC reserves the right to evaluate an application and render a final decision even if all pieces of the application have not been received.