My Favorite Places on Campus After 50 Days

Greetings!

I’m Audrey and I’m a freshman in the class of 2026 at Harvey Mudd College. Although I am relatively new to campus, I have found a lot of amazing places on campus to hang out, study, and just enjoy being at Mudd. 

1. Galileo Fountain

If you’ve visited campus, you probably remember seeing this fountain in the Hixon Courtyard. Seeing the koi, lily pads, and flowers always makes 8am chemistry a little bit more cheerful. There are also tables around the fountain, which make it the perfect spot for a quick study session, snack, or a conversation with a friend. PS. This is a great spot for zoom calls because it is usually quiet, except for the sound of water running in the background. 

Hixon Courtyard with the fountain! Photo Credit: Audrey Thiessen
A close up of the lily pads. Photo Credit: Audrey Thiessen

2. Shanahan Sky-Cube

I first discovered the sky cube and roof-top garden because I went to a club meeting that was hosted there. All I can say is that it is beautiful and I should spend a lot more time there. The atmosphere is very calming after a busy day on campus. In the evenings you can watch the sun set, and enjoy the overhead string lights. When I am at the sky cube I almost forget that I am on a college campus. 

3. McGregor Outdoors

As the newest building on campus, McGregor is a very popular studyspot. Outside McGregor is aesthetically pleasing and is usually in the shade, making it a nice spot to work. 

4. Makerspace 

You could legitimately live in the makerspace, like actually live there. The makerspace has everything you could ever need (more to come about this soon). What makes the makerspace one of my favorite places is the abundance of very comfy places to sit, combined with all of the projecting you could ever desire. 

5. Cafe

Not only can you get snacks at the cafe, but the cafe also offers an abundance of outdoor and indoor seating. This makes it a popular place for study groups and midday breaks alike. A lot of students also like to congregate here before and after classes because the shanahan building is where many classes meet. 

6. Those random picnic tables around the academic end 

Although these tables may seem like uninteresting spots to hang out on campus, I find that they are perfect. First off, they are everywhere, so you will have no trouble finding a place to sit. Secondly because they are in so many locations, you can always find a table with just the right amount of sun, no matter the time of day. These tables are the place for filling awkward amounts of time (such as time in between classes when you just don’t feel like walking all the way back to your dorm (P.S. it’s not actually that far)). 

Written by Audrey Thiessen