Alum Reflections with Mandy ’22

Hi, I’m Mandy! I’m a recent (2022) Engineering graduate from Harvey Mudd and an Early Decision 1 (ED1) admit. With the intention of getting a head start on my college thinking and decision-making process, I signed up for a campus tour at HMC in my sophomore year of high school simply because it was one of the closest college campuses to my hometown (and because I’d always wanted an excuse to pig out at the Claremont Village). I had no idea what I was walking into: I expected to look at a few cool buildings, get an idea of the campus size, and maybe if I was lucky I would be able to get a glimpse of what campus life and classroom environments were really like. I left with a wrinkled brochure in my hand (the ED application section marked for later reference), a mental checklist of exactly what I wanted in a college, and an excited grin on my face.

Prior to my campus visit at Harvey Mudd, the college search and application process terrified me to no end — as I’m sure any prospective students reading this can relate! I was able to come out of my first ever college tour experience with a vivid idea of what I wanted because I saw at HMC the person I wanted to be. I knew I wanted the opportunity to connect with my professors when I saw a vibrant community of students talking casually with and even laughing with their faculty. I knew I wanted to be a part of a supportive and uplifting community when I saw students clapping my tour guide on the back while offering words of encouragement, and I was fascinated with how HMC’s small class sizes and dorm culture contributed to a trusting culture that allows for the success of the Honor Code. I couldn’t help but compare each college tour that followed to what I saw at Harvey Mudd, and getting the chance to conduct my admissions interview with a senior intern at HMC solidified my belief that it was the right place for me.

After graduating from Harvey Mudd, I’m happy to say that all of the things that drew me to this school are more dear to me than ever. To high school students embarking on the college admissions process, I encourage you to consider the type of community you feel you thrive and feel most comfortable in as well as the type of environment that most resembles the person you want to grow into in college. Good luck!