Moving To Campus

Share story

This year was the first that I actually had to move onto campus by myself. My freshman year, my mom came to drop me off at Mudd (and we actually took two days to drive down Highway 1 beforehand, which is a beautiful scenic route I definitely recommend!) Moving in is kind of complicated, since I live in Missouri and have to fly to California. There is only so much that you can fit in a suitcase!

Over the summer (and the online school year) a friend of mine who lives near Mudd actually stored a lot of my bulkier stuff for me. That was very helpful and made moving in easier since I didn’t have to pull anything out of storage. There was also some stuff I had to buy–my freshman year I was in a triple and could share some things (like a refrigerator) with my roommates. I’ve got a single this year, so I had to find my own. Online ordering was my friend, especially since the mailroom had carts to help me carry heavy things!

Mural of mountains overlooking a forest behind a desk
A view of the mural on the wall.

I am very happy with my room this year–I’m in the same residence hall (Drinkward) and floor as I was my freshman year which is very nice. The most amazing thing, however, is that I got a mural room! I didn’t actually expect that–my room was chosen by the Living Learning Community I am a part of (read more about that community in one a previous blog post!) The mural is gorgeous–its a wallpaper scene of some mountains and the forest that takes up an entire wall. Some residence halls allow students to add murals, either by painting them or adding wallpaper like

Cardboard boxes and suitcases in the middle of the room
My stuff before I unpacked anything

mine, once they’ve gotten permission. I don’t know who did the one in my room, but I’m definitely grateful! It’s a great view to have while studying.

At first, I wasn’t sure everything would fit! I had a lot of boxes to unpack. It was kind of fun to go through and see stuff I had forgotten about though. One of the really exciting finds was my plant! I had a plant freshman year that my friend had been taking care of for me. It looks very healthy and happy now. Now that I’m all unpacked and organized, I can say that I definitely like my room a lot.

Dorm room with rug on the floor, notes unpacked on desk, trashcan, and refrigerator
After unpacking! Carpet (Drinkward’s floors are concrete), refrigerator, notes, and all. The plant looks very happy.