Mission and Strategic Vision
Harvey Mudd College seeks to educate engineers, scientists, and mathematicians well versed in all of these areas and in the humanities, social sciences and the arts so that they may assume leadership in their fields with a clear understanding of the impact of their work on society.
Under former president Maria Klawe (2006-2023), the Harvey Mudd community undertook a year of planning and discussion on campus and across the country. “HMC 2020: Envisioning the Future” was an ambitious outline of the college’s aspirations for the next decade and beyond.
The strategic vision revolved around six themes:
- Innovation, Leadership, and Impact, Especially in Engineering, Science and Mathematics
- Focus on Experiential and Interdisciplinary Learning
- Unsurpassed Excellence and Diversity at All Levels
- Nurturing and Developing the Whole Person
- Global Engagement and Informed Contributions to Society
- Improvement of Infrastructure and Resources to Support Harvey Mudd’s Commitment to Excellence and Building Community
A report on what the College accomplished as part of this vision is available in a special section of the Harvey Mudd College Magazine.