BLAM to Boston

Hey guys! Izzy here with another blog post. Hopefully a short one, though mine always turn out long. :\

Us at Ontario airport Wednesday afternoon.

This last weekend, our Black Lives group here at Mudd, BLAM, got to go on a trip to Boston for the national conference of the Nation Society of Black Engineers! (NSBE) It was a really great opportunity to go and get a sense for how the black community is pressing into engineering work nationwide, and for me, it was the most black people, or even just people of color, that I’ve ever seen in the same place.

The entire group (sans Paa Kofi) meeting with Renee, a Mudd alum from class of 2004

Besides just seeing the black engineering community exists, NSBE is a great chance for networking and getting jobs. There’s a massive career fair that goes on for most of the conference, with work for engineers and computer scientists in every business that you can imagine. Medicine, computer technology, aeronautics, food production, you name it. Frankly, I hadn’t really thought that much about the universal need for engineers, so it was a bit of a shock to see Hershey (chocolate) and Campbell’s (soup) there! Honestly, I didn’t make a good of use of the career fair as I could have this year, but hopefully I’ll get to go again next year!

All the frosh (but me) at the Golden Torch Awards

A lot of age groups are represented at NSBE, with high schoolers, college students, and professionals all sharing a space. One event that celebrates all of these groups, and that I know a lot of NSBE people look forward to, is the Golden Torch Awards. This takes place every year at the end of the conference, and awards are given to outstanding NSBE members in all of the groups, professional, collegiate, and pre-collegiate. It’s apparently super hyped up and exciting, which is why I didn’t go. I’m a pretty low energy guy. But the BLAM members who were in NSBE in high school were really excited!

Overall, it was a really fun trip! Some of the upperclassmen in BLAM did a lot to put this trip together, and raise the funds to go, and I think that, as a group we got a lot out of it.