Parent and Family FAQs and Contacts

Student Move-In for Fall 2022

What are the dates for student move-in?

  • First-year and transfer students – Thursday, August 25
  • International student move-in – Tuesday, August 23
  • CMS Athletes – Please contact your student’s coach for move-in date

How long should parents plan to stay on campus?

Informal family programming will occur on move-in day. Parent and family programming will conclude by early evening the same day of move-in.

What size is my student’s residence hall room?

Approximate Room Sizes

What should my student bring to campus?

What to bring List and other useful move-in information.

Helpful tips: When your student receives their dorm and roommate assignment, they may want to reach out to their roommate to determine what their roommate is bringing, and also research what amenities are available in their dorm, to avoid duplicate items.

Can we ship items ahead of move-in?

Items may be shipped to HMC’s Mailroom in advance of move-in after August 1, 2022. Students should print their name and their mailbox number clearly on each package. Packages will be held in the Mailroom for pick up on the student’s move-in day.
Shipping address:
Student Name, Class Year (i.e. for incoming students ’26) & Mailbox # (if it has been assigned)
Harvey Mudd College
340 E. Foothill Boulevard
Claremont, CA 91711-3116

How do we get to campus?

Visiting Campus

Where can I find a map of Harvey Mudd’s campus?

HMC Campus Map

Where do we park/unload student belongs?

Please park in the lots directly north of the residence halls on the north side of the campus (lots are just below Foothill Boulevard). You will not need a parking permit during the move-in period.

Where does my student check in on move-in day?

Your student will check in at the Linde Activities Center gymnasium prior to moving into their residence hall.

Where do parents and family check in on move-in day?

Parents and family will check in and pick up a name tag (if pre-registered) or complete a hand written name tag (if not pre-registered) at the Platt Campus Center in the courtyard.

Are there carts or bins to help move my student’s things from car to residence hall?

Yes, there will be carts and/or bins that you can borrow from the Linde Activities Center to help move items from car to residence hall. There will also be support staff on hand to assist in moving items.

My student has food allergies or special dietary needs, whom can I speak to?

Please contact Miguel Ruvalcaba, General Manager of Dining Services by email at or 909.607.0424 to learn about Dining Services’ accommodations for students with dietary restrictions.

Whom can my student contact for student support services, such as accessibility requests or assistance with academic success?

Please contact Katie Rogers, Coordinator for Student Accessibility Services, email:

Where do I go to make a payment on my student’s account?

To speak with a Student Accounts representative, please contact by email or phone 909.621.8107. Office hours are generally M-F, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. If you are on campus and need to visit Student Accounts, please contact the office in advance to make sure a representative is available. The office is located in Kingston Hall, second floor, #233.

My student is having trouble with key card access, where do we go?

The Office of Facilities and Maintenance (F&M) can assist your student with access. Please visit their office located in the Platt Campus Center, basement level (stair access on west side of Platt along outside of building, near Jay’s place. There is an indoor staircase from inside the west wing of Platt (near restrooms).

How do we find other Claremont Colleges and the Honnold-Mudd Library, Huntley Bookstore, etc.?

Please note that visiting the other college campuses is discouraged during move-in, students and families across all of the Claremont colleges will be moving in as well and campuses could be crowded. Feel free to visit the Claremont Colleges’ shared resources including the Huntley Bookstore, Honnold-Mudd Library, Student Health Center, etc. Map of all seven Claremont Colleges.

Does the Huntley Bookstore offer discounts to incoming students?

Yes, Huntley Bookstore offers special pricing on laptops, tablets and more. Huntley Coupon.

First-year Parent and Family Questions

What online resources does Harvey Mudd College have for parents and families? What is the best way for parents and families to keep informed of College events and schedules?

Please visit the Parent and Family Programs and Resources page. Parents and families can also keep informed of Harvey Mudd events by visiting the Harvey Mudd College News webpage. There is also a Facebook group HMC Families, which provides information about College events and happenings, especially for the newest members of our community.

What support is available to assist students with technology on campus?

The Computing and Information Services (CIS) team is available to assist students with technology needs including setting up accounts, credentials, accessing wireless networks and VPN, printing, accessing the student portal, obtaining loaner laptops (if available), and more. Students can contact CIS’s Help Desk by calling 909.607.7777 (Campus ext. 77777) or by sending an email to

What career planning resources are available for helping Harvey Mudd students find internships or complete graduate school/job applications?

The Office of Career Services provides a wide array of services and programs for Harvey Mudd students. Many of their programs will also be helpful to those students planning to attend graduate school, but typically the departments are the primary source of information on graduate school applications. Contact for assistance.

Where can I find the academic calendar and a final exam schedule?

The Academic Calendar and Final Exams schedule are both available on the registrar’s website. Both are available as PDF downloads.

What resources does the Office of Academic Affairs provide? And how do they monitor my student when they are struggling academically?

The Office of Academic Affairs is an administrative office devoted to the academic well-being and success of our talented students. The office supports students in their academic pursuits—intervening when academic difficulties arise—and links them with academic and personal resources on campus while fostering strong ties between faculty and students. The Office of Academic Affairs also directs first-year advising at Harvey Mudd

What counseling or mental health resources are available for students dealing with stress, social issues, emotionally difficult situations, or academic struggles?

Students can meet with the Health and Wellness staff for support and referrals. Health and Wellness staff also offer programming throughout the year, such as Project Connect which enables students to learn social skills and how to connect and make friends beyond the classroom. Other health and wellness programming includes emotional intelligence seminars, yoga sessions and DSA carnivals.

Monsour Counseling Services has psychologists and psychiatrists on staff who provide services to students from all the Claremont Colleges. For ongoing counseling or therapy, students will typically be referred to providers in the community. The Claremont Colleges have also contracted with TimelyMD, a provider of online medical and counseling services, to offer a telehealth option to all HMC students.

General Parent and Family Questions

When are there breaks in the academic year and what can students do during these breaks?

The Academic Calendar lists the dates of all seasonal breaks. Students may stay on campus during fall break, Thanksgiving break, and spring break. However, residence halls are closed and students must leave campus during winter break.

What shared ride opportunities or public transportation methods exist for students without cars?

Students can rent vans for HMC business (student clubs and organizations, academic requirements, or medical appointments) from the Facilities and Maintenance office. Vans are not for use for strictly personal reasons. Reservations can be made through the Event Management System (EMS) or directly through the Facilities & Maintenance (F&M) office 909.621.8226.

Students can get a free pass for Foothill Transit. Other options include Lyft and Uber.

What occasions are there for me to visit my student on campus?

Family Weekend in February is the best time to visit your student. Contact the Office of Alumni and Parent Relations Parents Office for more info at 909.621.8436. Otherwise, make arrangements with your student. Please note that due to LA County Department of Public Health mandates, for the fall semester 2021, families will not be allowed into the residence halls after student move-in day. If and when this changes, we will make families aware.

What services are available in the residence halls?

Every residence hall has WiFi, a laundry room and cleaning services for public spaces. Case, Linde, and South residence halls have communal kitchens for residents to use. Sontag has kitchens in every suite. Atwood has kitchens in efficiencies.

What music resources are available?

There are music practice rooms in the Platt Campus Center that are open to all students.

What do you feel is the proper balance between students coming home and parents and family visiting the campus during the first year?

This is really up to you and your student. Often students will want to come home at every opportunity in their first year and then much less in subsequent years. Ask your student what they prefer and prepare to be flexible.

Do you have an advisor from each department to answer parents’ questions?

Forms granting permission for academic advisors to speak with parents about academic performance are available through the Office of the Registrar and must be signed in person. Forms are not available online or by email.

How does the meal plan system work?

Meal plan options involve “Board Plus” dollars, which can be used for food at any of The Claremont Colleges’ retail sites. The cost and billing of the meal plan is handled by the Office of Student Accounts.

What food options are available outside the main dining hall? Can students take food back to their rooms from the dining hall? Can/should students bring refrigerators and microwaves?

The R. Michael Shanahan Center for Teaching and Learning has a café featuring Starbucks drinks and snacks. Jay’s Place, which is in the basement of the Platt Campus Center, serves pizza, sandwiches, quesadillas and other food and drink. There are cafés around the 5-Cs such as The Coop at Pomona, The Motley at Scripps and The Hub at Claremont McKenna. Students can take their meals out of the dining hall using a reusable clamshell to-go box. Students can also bring refrigerators and microwaves to the dorms, though it’s a good idea to coordinate with roommates and/or suitemates beforehand.

Can items be left in residence halls over breaks?

Students can leave their belongings in the residence hall throughout the academic year. Unless there are special circumstances, they must move out during the summer.

If offered a work-study position as part of the financial aid package, how does the student apply?

Students can go to Handshake to view job opportunities. Once a position is accepted, students must fill out the student employment packet with the Office of Business Affairs.

How do we pay tuition online and monitor finances?

Visit Student Accounts for information about paying online. The eCheck service can also be used to monitor the student’s account. If you have further questions, contact Patricia Wang at 909.621.8107 or

What if my student gets sick?

Student Health Services is available to all Claremont College students. They offer free appointments if scheduled in advance and charge $20 for non-scheduled visits. Student Health Services can perform some medical services and also offer prescription medicine. Residence hall proctors are also a student resource. If emergency healthcare services are needed, students or proctors will call Campus Safety.

If the student is already covered under a parent’s health plan, does the student still need to purchase health insurance coverage through school?

Not if your insurance plan meets certain minimum requirements. Information on requesting a waiver is on the orientation Deadlines page.

What counseling or mental health resources are available for students dealing with stress, social issues or academic struggles?

Students can meet with Michelle Harrison, assistant dean for wellness and residential life, for support and referrals. Michelle can be contacted at Monsour Counseling and Psychological Services has psychologists and psychiatrists on staff who provide services to students of all The Claremont Colleges. For ongoing counseling or therapy, students will typically be referred to providers in the community. The Claremont Colleges have also contracted with TimelyMD, a provider of online medical and counseling services, to offer a telehealth option to all HMC students.

Is there a campus police?

Yes, the Campus Safety office serves all The Claremont Colleges.

What emergency procedures does the College have in place?

The Emergency Preparedness and Safety site has information about emergency preparedness, plans and procedures, including the HMC Mass Notification System Mudd Alert which provides rapid emergency notification to the Harvey Mudd community during crucial emergency situations.

Quick Reference Contacts

Our Community page has an A–Z of the College’s offices, departments and other programs.

The Contact page has key phone numbers as well as links to relevant parts of the website.

The Academic Calendar lists key dates and the HMC Calendar shows upcoming events.

The Claremont Colleges Services Resources
Service Email Phone
Asian-American Resource Center 909.621.8639
Chicano Latino Student Affairs Center (CSLA) 909.621.8044
Queer Resource Center (QRC) 909.607.1817
Office of Black Student Affairs (OBSA) 909.607.3669
Office of the Chaplains 909.621.8685
Campus Safety 909.607.2000
Monsour Counseling and Psychological Services 909.621.8202
Student Health Services 909.621.8222