Orientation Deadlines

All deadlines for forms and documents are listed by due date and should be returned to the corresponding office in the information below.

Please note – the mailing address for Harvey Mudd College is:

Harvey Mudd College of Division of Student Affairs, 301 Platt Blvd., Claremont, CA 91711.

June 3

Roommate Matching Form

It is essential for you to complete the Roommate Matching form thoroughly and honestly (no parents peeking). Only a few people read the forms, and they are kept confidential. New Student Orientation Leaders in collaboration with DSA staff will very carefully try to make a workable match of you and a roommate as well as you and a dorm. Questions should be directed to the Division of Student Affairs office at 909.621.8125 or csundberg@hmc.edu.

Roommate matching form

June 10

Tuition Payment Agreement (PDF)

All incoming students are required to designate a tuition payment method and have several payment options. Please make sure to initial your payment choice and sign the form. A scanned or faxed copy is considered preliminary information only, and a hard copy sent in by mail is necessary.

Substitute W-9S Form (PDF) (Student Only)

Only incoming students who did not provide their SSN or ITIN on the Common Application or FAFSA, or those who provided invalid SSNs or ITINs will be required to submit this form. Please do not submit this form unless you have received a request from the Office of Student Accounts. An email will be sent in mid/late May to the students who are required to submit this form.

The United States Internal Revenue Service requires the university to collect the name, social security number (SSN), and dollar amount of all students’ qualifying payments and report that information on IRS Form IRS Form 1098-T. This information provides the IRS with a basis for amounts claimed by a taxpayer as qualifying expenditures for higher education tax credits such as the American Opportunity Credit. Even if you are not eligible for any education tax credits, IRS regulations stipulate that a 1098-T be issued for any student who has qualified charges, regardless of your eligibility for the tax credit.  Failure to provide us with a SSN may result in the student being fined by the IRS in accordance with Internal Revenue Code Section 6723 (PDF).

Since this form contains your SSN or ITIN, for security reasons, please DO NOT EMAIL the Substitute W-9S or attach the Substitute W-9S to an email. Please mail this in with your Tuition Payment Agreement (or alone) to:

Harvey Mudd College Student Accounts
301 Platt Blvd.
Claremont, CA 91711

Questions should be directed to the Office of Student Accounts at 909.621.8107 or student_accounts@hmc.edu.

Housing Agreement 2018–2019 Academic Year

Each Harvey Mudd student living on campus is required to read and sign a housing agreement. Please note: Students who will be under 18 at the time of move-in will need to have a parent sign a paper version of the contract before the end of Orientation. Questions should be directed to the Division of Student Affairs office 909.621.8125 or csundberg@hmc.edu.

Housing Contract 2018–2019

Please note: Students will need to be logged into their Harvey Mudd Google Apps for Education accounts to be able to sign the contract.

June 20

Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)

The 2018–2019 Waiver Portal is now open for incoming and returning students!

See How to “Waive” out of the Student Health Insurance Program (SHIP) for step-by-step instructions.

Note: all International Students will be required to enroll in SHIP and will not be able to “waive” out.

What is SHIP?

SHIP is a health insurance plan designed just for students attending The Claremont Colleges. The plan is available to protect your educational future. If you get sick or injured, insufficient health insurance can lead to financial hardships that can threaten your ability to attend class, pay tuition, get student loans or live away from home. Having health insurance helps to ensure that you are able to stay in school, so you can graduate and achieve your personal goals. SHIP is available to all matriculated domestic students and all international students attending on a student visa (F-1,J-1 or M-1).

Am I required to have health insurance?

Yes. All continuing students or newly matriculated students are required to have health insurance coverage. You will be automatically enrolled in SHIP, unless proof of comparable coverage is provided and a waiver is submitted by the waiver deadline date. If you have other insurance—such as coverage as a dependent under a parent’s or spouse’s insurance plan—and you do not wish to enroll in SHIP, you may submit a waiver application. Please note: International students are not allowed to waive SHIP.

What is a health insurance waiver application?

A health insurance waiver application is a form that you fill out if you have other qualifying health insurance and do not wish to be enrolled in SHIP. You can submit an online waiver application. As part of the waiver process, you are required to provide specific information about your insurance coverage, which will be verified by the school or a designated waiver administrator.

Does my other insurance qualify?

If you wish to waive SHIP because you have other insurance, benefits under that plan must meet the following requirements:

  • Coverage must be continuous (no break or termination) for the entire academic year.
  • Maximum lifetime benefit must be at least $500,000.
  • Coverage must be effective prior to 08/22/201y.
  • Deductible must be $1,000 or less per policy year.

Your insurance coverage will be verified. Students who are covered under a health insurance plan that does not meet all of the applicable requirements will not be allowed to waive out of SHIP.

What if my deductible is over $1,000 per policy year?

You can submit the Harvey Mudd High Deductible Form (PDF) and upload it directly through the waiver portal on Ascension’s website.

Should I waive SHIP?

If you have other coverage that meets the waiver criteria, it is your decision whether to waive SHIP. However, here are some important things to consider first:

  • SHIP may be less expensive than being insured on an individual plan or as a dependent on an employer group plan through your parent or spouse. When comparing costs, be sure to look at premiums, deductibles, co-payments and out-of-pocket maximums.
  • SHIP has a local PPO provider network. If you have out-of-state coverage, or HMO or PPO coverage with a limited provider area, there may not be any network providers near school. You may have to pay higher out-of-network co-payments, deductibles or co-insurance.

Please note: If you waive coverage under SHIP, you are responsible for any medical costs you incur.

How often do I have to submit a waiver application?

Students who wish to waive out of SHIP must complete the online application once each academic year by the deadline date.

What happens if I don’t waive by the deadline date?

Students who do not submit a waiver application by the deadline date with be automatically enrolled in SHIP. Coverage for incoming students will start on August 1, 2018.

If my insurance coverage starts after the semester begins, can I get a refund?

If it is past the waiver deadline, your SHIP coverage remains in place and you will have to wait until next academic year to waive out of SHIP. No refunds will be issued.

What if I successfully waive out of SHIP, then lose my other coverage?

You may enroll in SHIP mid-year if you waived out but later lost coverage through no fault of your own, such as coverage that terminates due to loss of employment (by your spouse or parent) or by reaching an age limit set by the plan. This does not include coverage that has a predetermined termination date, expiration of COBRA eligibility or coverage that has been voluntarily or inadvertently terminated by you (by quitting a job or missing an enrollment deadline, for instance). To enroll mid-year after an involuntary loss of coverage, you must notify Student Health Services and submit proof of loss of coverage within 31 days of termination of said coverage. You will be charged the full cost of the term in which you are enrolling in SHIP. Please note: The deadline for waiving out of SHIP is June 20, 2018. If a waiver has not be approved by the deadline, you will be charged for the first installment in the July 1 billing. General questions regarding health insurance may be directed to Kim Nykanen in the division of student affairs at 909.621.8125 or knykanen@hmc.edu. For more information on your Student Account, please contact Patricia Wang in Student Accounts at 909.621.8107 or pwang@hmc.edu.

For more information on SHIP and dates the waiver portal will open please see our Student Health Insurance page

July 1

Final grades and high school transcripts

You must submit an official final high school transcript to the Office of Admission. Your admission and final enrollment at Harvey Mudd are contingent on the successful completion of the spring term. Questions should be directed to the Office of Admission at 909.621.8011 or admission@hmc.edu. Transcripts should be mailed to: Harvey Mudd College Office of Admission 301 Platt Boulevard Claremont, CA 91711

Orientation Adventure Trip Preferences

During Orientation, there will be a two-day trip that all incoming students participate in. Check back soon for the preference form to be posted! Check out the Orientation Adventure Trips for summaries of each expedition.  If you have any questions, please contact the New Student Orientation Directors: Holly Frank and Cassidy Le orientationadventure@g.hmc.edu.

Consent to Treat a Minor 2018

If you will be under 18 years old on the date you arrive at Mudd, your parent or guardian must complete this form. Since hospitals cannot treat minors without the consent of a parent or guardian, this mandatory form allows you to receive emergency medical treatment in the event a parent or guardian cannot be reached. Questions should be directed to the Division of Students Affairs at 909.621.8125.

August 1

Student Health Services Information forms

Please visit this website: Forms and Documents page and find a cover letter that explains the “Entrance Personal Health History/Medical Examination Report Form” (PDF). You must complete this form before you can use Student Health Services. Some immunizations are also required.

The Information on Meningitis (PDF) is also available on this website page. This letter explains the risks of meningitis at college and recommends that incoming students get immunized against it. The final parts of the form include the Health History and Exam Form (PDF) found under the heading “Entrance physical Undergraduate students”  and an emotional health history form entitled “Freshman counseling center survey form” (PDF)

Please note: Send this packet with all health exam and history forms directly to Student Health Services at 757 College Way, Claremont, CA 91711, by August 1. Visit Student Health Services for more information. Please note: Student Health Services is closed over the summer break, but if you have questions you may call them at 909.621.8222 and leave a message. SHS retrieves and responds to voice mail daily.

August 10

Survey on Chemistry experience and course preference

Survey on Computer Science experience and course preference

August 20

AlcoholEdu and Haven Programs (Open early August)

You are expected to complete AlcoholEdu and Haven.  You will need one EverFi Higher Education Account to access these courses from your dashboard.  We urge you to add all courses to your dashboard before beginning any of the content.

  1. Go to the EverFi website
  2. Enter a Registration Code: (to be released early August)
  3. Once at your EverFi Dashboard, click Add a Course and enter the Registration Code

Note: You must use your Harvey Mudd email address to ensure that you receive credit for completion, e.g.: jsmith@hmc.edu.

AlcoholEdu Course and Haven Course- Sexual Assault Prevention

AlcoholEdu has several parts: an initial self-assessment, the course itself, a final assessment and a follow-up survey sent to you in the middle of fall semester. Your information will be confidential, and Harvey Mudd College will only see aggregated responses. The initial course takes 2–3 hours to complete and includes several videos and quizzes, so you have the option to complete it in multiple sessions. Just be sure to hit the “Next” button at the end of a section before you log out. Otherwise, you’ll need repeat any unsaved sections. Here’s how to access it:

  1. Go to https://platform.everfi.net/registration/loginEVERFI
  2. Enter your Haven and AlcoholEdu for College Registration Code
  3. Enter your first name, last name and Harvey Mudd email address (first_last@hmc.edu) and then create a password. You may also need to enter your birth date for confirmation.
  4. When prompted, please enter your 8-digit student ID to receive credit for completion.
  5. If you have questions, click on the “Technical Help” drawing in the upper-right corner of the site page.

Received Checklist

Please be sure to carefully review the list of required incoming students’ forms and materials before starting at Harvey Mudd College.

  1. Roommate Matching Form
  2. Tuition Payment Agreement
  3. Housing Contract
  4. Chemistry and CS experience and course preference
  5. Student Health Services Information
  6. Consent to Treatment of a Minor (required for minors only)
  7. Final High School Transcript
  8. Health Insurance Waivers (for those not enrolling in SHIP)

Please allow up to a week for forms to be received by the proper office, as well as for additional website updates. Forms not sent to the Division of Student Affairs may experience delays in being tallied. The Division of Student Affairs office is maintaining an internal checklist and will notify you of missing forms.If you have any questions, contact the New Student Orientation Directors:

Holly Frank hfrank@g.hmc.edu

Cassidy Le cle@g.hmc.edu