Professor of History Emeritus
- PhD, History, University of Pennsylvania, 1980
- M.A., History, University of Pennsylvania, 1976
- A.B., History, Oberlin College, 1973
- U.S. Social and Cultural History
- Rural History
Current Research Projects
- Images of rural life in the twentieth century
- Ethnic cuisines and American conceptions of food and culture
- The history of crossword puzzles
- Mixed Harvest: The Second Great Transformation in the Rural North, 1870-1930 (Chapel Hill, UNC Press, 1997, dual edition).
- Those Who Stayed Behind: Rural Society in Nineteenth-Century New England (N.Y., Cambridge University Press, 1984, paperback edition, 1987).
- “Citriculture and Southern California: New Historical Perspectives,” Introduction to special issue of California History, 74 (1995).
- Technology and U.S. Society (Freshman Seminar)
- Immigration and Ethnicity in America (undergraduate and graduate)
- The Jewish Experience in America
- Twentieth Century U.S. History (undergraduate and graduate)
- California History (undergraduate and graduate)
- Introduction to American Cultures