Chemistry Student Accolades
At the annual awards celebration in September, the chemistry faculty recognized our chemistry and joint chemistry and biology majors for their academic talents with the Campbell and Sly prizes and American Chemical Society awards.
The Dorothy C. and J. Arthur Campbell Prize
The Prize was donated by friends to honor Dorothy C. and J. Arthur Campbell, faculty spouse and the first faculty member at Harvey Mudd College and our first chemist. This Prize recognizes a senior chemistry student for their achievement, breadth of interests, and promise. Professor Van Rywsyk presented Helen Chen ‘24 and Paul Oh ‘24 with the 2023 Campbell Prize.
The William G. Sly Prize
This Prize honors Professor Bill “The Snowman” Sly, a chemistry faculty member for thirty-four years. This prize recognizes a junior chemistry student who exemplifies the curiosity, intellectual integrity, and enthusiasm that Bill brought to his teaching and research. Professor Brucks presented Anna Grace Rogers ’25 with the 2023 Sly Prize.
Biological Chemistry Prize
This prize is awarded to a student who demonstrates strong performance in coursework at the interface of chemistry and biology, deep engagement with the material, and ample evidence of critically thinking about the concepts. Professor Haushalter presented Matea Zelich ’24 with the 2023 Biological Chemistry Prize.
First-Year Chemistry Prize
This prize is awarded to a first-year student with high academic performance in both the lecture and laboratory components of core chemistry who exhibits a positive attitude, teamwork, critical thinking, and excellent record-keeping. Professor Brown presented Tommy Liu ‘26 and Caroline Sorrells ‘26 with the 2023 First-Year Chemistry Prize.
Harald V. Johnson P70 Memorial Prize* (*received in May)
This prize was donated by Ben Johnson ’70 in memory of his father, Harald V. Johnson P70. This award annually recognizes a student who has done an outstanding job of communicating chemistry to the general public and the world outside Harvey Mudd College. The chemistry faculty presented Drew Pronovost with the 2023 Johnson Prize.
- American Chemical Society Analytical Award recognizes a chemist demonstrating excellence and promise in analytical chemistry: Connor Seto ’24
- American Chemical Society Environmental Award recognizes a chemist demonstrating excellence and promise in environmental chemistry: Ivy Jaguzny ’24
- American Chemical Society Organic Award recognizes a senior chemist who displays a significant aptitude for organic chemistry and encourages further interest in the field: Sydney Porto ’24
- American Chemical Society Physical Award recognizes a chemist demonstrating excellence and promise in physical chemistry: Natalie Couch ’24
- The American Institute of Chemists Award* honors a chemistry/chemistry-biology senior with a demonstrated record of leadership, character, scholastic achievement, and advancement potential in the chemical professions: Hannah Betts ’23 and Mallorie Jenne ’23-Biology and Laura Wu ’23-Chemistry
- Phi Lambda Upsilon* (Honorary Chemical Society): Ethan Flanagan ’23, Eugene Gao ’23, Jacob Kelber ’23, and Nathaniel Luis ’23
Students selected to participate in the summer Kubota and Myhre fellowship programs engage in collaborative research and receive expert mentorship from Harvey Mudd College Department of Chemistry faculty.
- 2023 Kubota Fellowship: Britney Baez ’25
- 2022 Myhre Fellowship: Natalie Couch ’24
- 2021 Kubota Fellowship: E. Bacon-Gershman ’23
- 2021 Myhre Fellowship: Drew Pronovost ’23