Chemistry Student Accolades
At the annual awards celebration in October, the chemistry faculty recognized our chemistry and joint chemistry and biology majors for their academic talents with the Campbell and Sly prizes and American Chemical Society awards.
The Dorothy C. and J. Arthur Campbell Prize
This prize was donated by friends to honor Dorothy C. and J. Arthur Campbell. Their commitment to Harvey Mudd College began at the opening of the College in 1957. This prize acknowledges the great contributions of the Campbells and honors a senior chemist for their achievement and promise. Professor Van Hecke presented Ethan Flanagan ’23 and Nate Luis ’23 with the 2022 Campbell Prize.
The William G. Sly Prize
This prize was donated by friends to honor Professor Bill “The Snowman” Sly. Throughout his thirty-four years at the College, Bill displayed a depth of understanding and love of learning that were an inspiration to colleagues and students alike. This prize honors a junior chemist who exemplifies the curiosity, intellectual integrity, and enthusiasm that Bill brought to his teaching and research. Professor Karukstis presented Natalie Couch ’24 with the 2022 Sly Prize.
Harald V. Johnson P70 Memorial Prize* (*received in May)
This prize was donated by Ben Johnson ’70 in memory of his father, Harald V. Johnson P70. This award annually recognizes a student who has done an outstanding job of communicating chemistry to the general public and the world outside Harvey Mudd College. The chemistry faculty presented Drew Pronovost with the 2023 Johnson Prize.
- American Chemical Society Analytical Award recognizes a chemist demonstrating excellence and promise in analytical chemistry: E. Bacon-Gershman ’23
- American Chemical Society Environmental Award recognizes a chemist demonstrating excellence and promise in environmental chemistry: Drew Pronovost ’23
- American Chemical Society Inorganic Award recognizes a chemist demonstrating excellence and promise in inorganic chemistry: Eugene Gao ’23
- American Chemical Society Organic Award recognizes a senior chemist who displays a significant aptitude for organic chemistry and encourages further interest in the field: Nate Luis ’23
- American Chemical Society Physical Award recognizes a chemist demonstrating excellence and promise in physical chemistry: Laura Wu ’23
- The American Institute of Chemists Award* honors a chemistry/chemistry-biology senior with a demonstrated record of leadership, character, scholastic achievement, and advancement potential in the chemical professions: Hannah Betts ’23 and Mallorie Jenne ’23-Biology and Laura Wu ’23-Chemistry
- Phi Lambda Upsilon* (Honorary Chemical Society): Ethan Flanagan ’23, Eugene Gao ’23, Jacob Kelber ’23, and Nathaniel Luis ’23
Students selected to participate in the summer Kubota and Myhre fellowship programs engage in collaborative research and receive expert mentorship from Harvey Mudd College Department of Chemistry faculty.
- 2023 Kubota Fellowship: Britney Baez ’25
- 2022 Myhre Fellowship: Natalie Couch ’24
- 2021 Kubota Fellowship: E. Bacon-Gershman ’23
- 2021 Myhre Fellowship: Drew Pronovost ’23