At the annual awards celebration, the chemistry faculty recognized our chemistry and joint chemistry and biology majors for their academic talents with the Campbell and Sly prizes and American Chemical Society awards. The CRC Press Chemistry Achievement Award is also presented to outstanding first-year students in the core chemistry curriculum.
The Dorothy C. and J. Arthur Campbell Prize
This prize was donated by friends to honor Dorothy C. and J. Arthur Campbell. Their commitment to Harvey Mudd College began at the opening of the College in 1957. This prize acknowledges the great contributions of the Campbells and honors a senior chemist for their achievement and promise. Professor Van Hecke presented Yuanzhou Chen ’21 and Sydney Towell ’21 with the 2020 Campbell Prize.
The William G. Sly Prize
This prize was donated by friends to honor Professor Bill “The Snowman” Sly. Throughout his thirty-four years at the College, Bill displayed a depth of understanding and love of learning that were an inspiration to colleagues and students alike. This prize honors a junior chemist who exemplifies the curiosity, intellectual integrity, and enthusiasm that Bill brought to his teaching and research. Professor Karukstis presented Stephen Gross ’22, Jason Misleh ’22, Hanna Porter ’22, and Anandi Williams ’22 with the 2020 Sly Prize.
Harald V. Johnson P70 Memorial Prize
This prize was donated by Ben Johnson ’70 in memory of his father, Harald V. Johnson P70. This award annually recognizes a student who has done an outstanding job of communicating chemistry to the general public and the world outside Harvey Mudd College. The chemistry faculty presented Yaunzhou Chen ’21 and Sydney Towell ’21 with the 2021 Johnson Prize.
Awards (*received in May)
- American Chemical Society Analytical Award recognizes a chemist demonstrating excellence and promise in analytical chemistry: Sydney Towell ’21
- American Chemical Society Environmental Award recognizes a chemist demonstrating excellence and promise in environmental chemistry: Linden Conrad-Marut ’21
- American Chemical Society Inorganic Award recognizes a chemist demonstrating excellence and promise in inorganic chemistry: Justin Tai ’21
- American Chemical Society Organic Award recognizes a senior chemist who displays a significant aptitude for organic chemistry and to encourage further interest in the field: Yuanzhou Chen ’21
- American Chemical Society Physical Award recognizes a chemist demonstrating excellence and promise in physical chemistry: Oliver Baldwin ’21
- CRC Press Chemistry Achievement Award recognizes outstanding achievement by first-year students in the core chemistry curriculum: Aldrin Feliciano ’23
- The American Institute of Chemists Award* honors a chemistry/chembio senior with a demonstrated record of leadership, character, scholastic achievement, and advancement potential in the chemical professions: Dylan Sotir ’21 and Justin Tai ’21
- Phi Lambda Upsilon* (Honorary Chemical Society): Yuanzhou Chen ’21, Justin Tai ’21, and Sydney Towell ’21
Students selected to participate in the summer Kubota and Myhre fellowship programs engage in collaborative research and receive expert mentorship from Harvey Mudd College Department of Chemistry faculty.
- 2021 Kubota Fellowship: Ezra Bacon-Gershman ’23
- 2021 Myhre Fellowship: Drew Pronovost ’23
- 2020 Not awarded during pandemic
- 2019 Kubota Fellowship: Linden Conrad-Marut ’21
- 2018 Myhre Fellowship: Brandon Wada ’20
- 2017 Kubota Fellowship: Daphne Guo ’19
- 2016 Myhre Fellowship: Rilke Griffin ’18
- 2015 Kubota Fellowship: Hannah Welsh ’17