At the annual awards banquet, the chemistry faculty recognized our chemistry and joint chemistry and biology majors for their academic talents with the Campbell and Sly prizes and American Chemical Society awards. The CRC Press Chemistry Achievement award is also presented to outstanding first-year students in the core chemistry curriculum.
The Dorothy C. and J. Arthur Campbell Prize
This prize was donated by friends to honor Dorothy C. and J. Arthur Campbell. Their commitment to Harvey Mudd College began at the opening of the College in 1957. This prize acknowledges the great contributions of the Campbells and honors a senior chemist for their achievement and promise. Professor Daub presented Althea Hansel ’19, Fanrui Sha ’19, and Leah Stevenson ’19 with the 2018 Campbell Prize.
The William G. Sly Prize
This prize was donated by friends to honor Professor Bill “The Snowman” Sly. Throughout his thirty-four years at the College, Bill displayed a depth of understanding and love of learning that were an inspiration to colleagues and students alike. This prize honors a junior chemist who exemplifies the curiosity, intellectual integrity, and enthusiasm that Bill brought to his teaching and research. Professor Cave presented Emily Shimizu ’20 with the 2018 Sly Prize.
Harald V. Johnson P70 Memorial Prize
This prize was donated by Ben Johnson ’70 in memory of his father, Harald V. Johnson P70. This award annually recognizes a student who has done an outstanding job of communicating chemistry to the general public and the world outside Harvey Mudd College. The chemistry faculty presented Kareesa Kron with the Johnson Prize at the 2018 Senior Reception.
Awards (*received in May)
- American Chemical Society Analytical Award recognizes a chemist demonstrating excellence and promise in analytical chemistry: Ali Khan ’19
- American Chemical Society Environmental Award* recognizes a chemist demonstrating excellence and promise in environmental chemistry: Simon Griffin ’19
- American Chemical Society Inorganic Award recognizes a chemist demonstrating excellence and promise in inorganic chemistry: Micaela Homer ’19
- American Chemical Society Organic Award recognizes a senior chemist who displays a significant aptitude for organic chemistry and to encourage further interest in the field: Fanrui Sha ’19
- American Chemistry Society Polymer Award recognizes a chemist demonstrating excellence and promise in polymer chemistry: Althea Hansel ’19
- CRC Press Chemistry Achievement Award recognizes outstanding achievement by first-year students in the core chemistry curriculum: Yuanzhou Chen ’21, Howard Deshong ’21, and Sophia Thomas ’21
- The American Institute of Chemists Award* honors a chemistry/chembio senior with a demonstrated record of leadership, character, scholastic achievement, and advancement potential in the chemical professions: Kareesa Kron ’18 and Bella Lee ’18
- Phi Lambda Upsilon* (Honorary Chemical Society): Jason Casar ’18, Rachael Kretsch ’18, Bella Lee ’18, Grant Murray ’18, and Omar Velazquez ’18
Students selected to participate in the summer Kubota and Myhre fellowship programs engage in collaborative research and receive expert mentorship from Harvey Mudd College Department of Chemistry faculty.
- 2018 Myhre Fellowship: Brandon Wada ’20
- 2017 Kubota Fellowship: Daphne Guo ’19
- 2016 Myhre Fellowship: Rilke Griffin ’18
- 2015 Kubota Fellowship: Hannah Welsh ’17