At the annual awards banquet, the chemistry faculty recognized our chemistry and joint chemistry and biology majors for their academic talents with the Campbell and Sly prizes and American Chemical Society awards. The CRC Press Chemistry Achievement Award was presented to outstanding first-year students in the core chemistry curriculum.
The Dorothy C. and J. Arthur Campbell Prize
This prize was donated by friends to honor Dorothy C. and J. Arthur Campbell. Their commitment to Harvey Mudd College began at the opening of the College in 1957. This prize acknowledges the great contributions of the Campbells and honors a senior chemist for his/her achievement and promise. Professor Van Hecke presented Shannon Wetzler ’16 and Max Frenkel ’16 with the Campbell Prize at the 2015 awards banquet.
The William G. Sly Prize
This prize was donated by friends to honor Professor Bill “The Snowman” Sly throughout his thirty-four years of understanding and love of learning that were an inspiration to colleagues and students alike. This prize honors a junior chemist who exemplifies the curiosity, intellectual integrity, and enthusiasm that Bill brought to his teaching and research. Professor Cave presented Elyse Pennington ’17 and Emma Klein ’17 with the Sly Prize at the 2015 awards banquet.
Harald V. Johnson P70 Memorial Prize
This prize was donated by Ben Johnson ’70 in memory of his father, Harald V. Johnson P70. This award annually recognizes a student who has done an outstanding job of communicating chemistry to the general public and the world outside Harvey Mudd College. The chemistry faculty presented Allison Lim with the Johnson Prize at the Senior Reception 2016.
- American Chemical Society Analytical Award recognizes a chemist demonstrating excellence and promise in analytical chemistry: Shannon Wetzler ’16
- American Chemical Society Environmental Award recognizes a chemist demonstrating excellence and promise in environmental chemistry: Isabell Lee ’16
- American Chemical Society Inorganic Award recognizes a chemist demonstrating excellence and promise in inorganic chemistry: Mikaela Kosich ’16
- American Chemical Society Organic Award recognizes a senior chemist who displays a significant aptitude for organic chemistry and to encourage further interest in the field: Shannon Wetzler ’16
- American Chemistry Society Polymer Award recognizes a chemist demonstrating excellence and promise in polymer chemistry: Max Frenkel ’16
- CRC Press Chemistry Achievement Award recognizes outstanding achievement by first-year students in the core chemistry curriculum: Jacey Coniff ’18, Daniel Johnson ’18, Rachael Kretsch ’18, and Lupe MacIntosh ’18
- The American Institute of Chemists Award honors a chemistry/chembio senior with a demonstrated record of leadership, character, scholastic achievement, and advancement potential in the chemical professions: Sooyeol Kim ’16 and Allison Lim ’16
- Phi Lambda Upsilon (Honorary Chemical Society) aims and purposes the promotion of high scholarship and original investigation in all branches of pure and applied chemistry: Katheirne Arriola ’16, Arthur Chang, ’16, Max Frenkel ’16, Sooyeol Kim ’16, and Shannon Wetlzer ’16
Students selected to participate in the summer Kubota and Mhyre fellowship programs engage in collaborative research and receive expert mentorship from Harvey Mudd College Department of Chemistry faculty.
- Myhre Fellowship: Rilke Griffin ’18
- Kubota Fellowship: Hannah Welsh ’17