Students who select the molecular biology option within the biology major must satisfactorily complete the following courses.
Molecular Biology Core
- Biology 54: Biology Laboratory
- Biology 101: Structure & Function
- Biology 108: Ecology & Environmental Biology
- Biology 109: Evolutionary Biology
- Biology 111: Molecular Biology Laboratory
- Biology 113: Molecular Biology
- Biology 182: Chemistry in Living Systems
- Chemistry 51: Physical Chemistry
- Chemistry 56: Chemistry of Carbon Compounds
- Chemistry 58: Carbon Compounds
- Chemistry 105: Organic Chemistry
- Chemistry 111: Organic Chemistry Laboratory
8 units of approved biology electives, selected by the student and advisor, to include:
- At least one laboratory course
- At least one seminar course (requiring student presentations and reading from the primary literature, selected from Bio 121, 122, 164, 185, 189) to be taken at Harvey Mudd College.
Note: One chemistry course may be substituted for an advanced biology course with the advisor’s approval.
Four semesters of Biology 191-192: Biology Colloquium or Chemistry 199: Chemistry Colloquium
Six units of Biology 193-194: Senior Thesis Research, Biology 195-196: Intensive Research, or Chemistry 151-152: Research Problems
Other options available to students interested in molecular biology and biochemistry include: