Associate Professor of Biology
F.W. Olin Science Center, Room 2340
1250 N. Dartmouth Ave.
Claremont, CA 91711
Education and Professional Experience
- B.A., Biology, California Institute of Technology
- PhD, Biology, Harvard University
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Harvard University
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, University of California Los Angeles
- Visiting Assistant Professor of Biology, Harvey Mudd College
- Bio 52: Introduction to Biology
- Core Lab 57: Synthetic Biology
- Bio 111: Molecular Biology Lab
- Bio 186: Molecular Biology of Aging Seminar
Aging is the greatest risk factor for almost all leading causes of death and disease in developed countries, yet relatively little is known about the basic molecular mechanisms that belie the aging process. Our aims are to elucidate the fundamental genetic and physiological pathways that govern organismal lifespan. Specifically, we are focused on using powerful genetic, molecular biological, and biochemical tools available for Drosophila melanogaster research to discover novel pathways that affect longevity and to tease apart both the upstream causes and downstream effects of known interventions that alter longevity.
- Bush EC, Adolph SC, Donaldson-Matasci MC, Hur JH, and Schulz D (2021) Incorporating Programming, Modeling and Data Analysis into an Introductory Biology Course. Journal of College Science Teaching 50:14-18.
- Nguyen NN, Rana A, Goldman C, Moore R, Tai J, Hong Y, Shen J, Walker DW, Hur JH (2019) Proteasome β5 subunit overexpression improves proteostasis during aging and extends lifespan in Drosophila melanogaster. Sci Rep 9(1):3170.
- Signorovitch A, Hur J, Gladyshev E, Meselson M (2016) Evidence for meiotic sex in bdelloid rotifers. Curr Biol 26:R754-R755.
- Signorovitch A, Hur J, Gladyshev E, Meselson M (2015) Allele Sharing and Evidence for Sexuality in a Mitochondrial Clade of Bdelloid Rotifers. Genetics 200(2):581-590.
- Hur JH, Stork DA, Walker DW (2014) Complex-I-ty in aging. J Bioenerg Biomembr 46:329-335.
- Hur JH, Bahadorani S, Graniel J, Koehler CL, Ulgherait M, Rera M, Jones DL, Walker DW (2013) Increased longevity mediated by yeast NDI1 expression in Drosophila intestinal stem and progenitor cells. Aging (Albany) 5:662-681.
- Cho J, Hur JH, Graniel J, Benzer S, Walker DW (2012) Expression of yeast NDI1 rescues a Drosophila complex I assembly defect. PLoS One 7:e50644.
- Rera M, Bahadorani S, Cho J, Koehler CL, Ulgherait M, Hur JH, Ansari WS, Lo T Jr, Jones DL, Walker DW (2011) Modulation of longevity and tissue homeostasis by the Drosophila PGC-1 homolog. Cell Metab 14:623-634.
- Cho J, Hur JH, Walker DW (2011) The role of mitochondria in Drosophila aging. Exp Gerontol 46:331-334.
- Hur JH, Cho J, Walker DW (2010) Aging: Dial M for Mitochondria. Aging (Albany) 2:69-73.
- Bahadorani S, Hur JH, Lo T Jr, Vu K, Walker DW (2010) Perturbation of mitochondrial complex V alters the response to dietary restriction in Drosophila. Aging Cell 9:100-103.
- Hur JH, Walker DW (2009) p53, sex, and aging: lessons from the fruit fly. Aging (Albany) 1:881-883.
- Copeland JM, Cho J, Lo T Jr, Hur JH, Bahadorani S, Arabyan T, Rabie J, Soh J, Walker DW (2009) Extension of Drosophila life span by RNAi of the mitochondrial respiratory chain. Curr Biol 19:1591-1598.
- Van Doninck K, Mandigo ML, Hur JH, Wang P, Guglielmini J, Milinkovitch MC, Lane WS, Meselson M (2009) Phylogenomics of unusual histone H2A variants in bdelloid rotifers. PLoS Genet 5:e1000401.
- Hur JH, Van Doninck K, Mandigo ML, Meselson M (2009) Degenerate tetraploidy was established before bdelloid rotifer families diverged. Mol Biol Evol 26:375-383.