Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Can I paint my dorm room?

Written approval from ASHMC Senate and the Office of Facilities and Maintenance is required before you can paint your dorm room. Please adhere to the guidelines outlined in the Room Painting and Mural Policy.

Something in my room/office is broken. How do I go about getting it fixed?

If something is not working correctly, (i.e. light is burned out, toilet is overflowing, door isn’t locking properly, A/C or heater isn’t working) please submit a work order ASAP. For more immediate concerns, please call F&M (909.621.8226) during normal business hours and Campus Safety (909.607.2000) after normal business hours.

How do I get my bed lofted?

If you would like to loft your bed, please submit a work order with your request.

Can I hang things on the walls in my dorm room?

Residents are encouraged to use non-damaging wall-hanging devices, i.e. poster mounts or non-abrasive putty. Poster mounts are available for free from proctors and F&M. Nails are not permitted, as residents are liable for damages caused to walls. Also, for fire safety, flammable cloth should not be hung near lights, heat or spark sources.

I lost my room key! What do I do?

Please report lost or stolen keys to F&M immediately. For the safety of each resident, re-keying is required. There will be a $150 fee to re-key your room which will be applied to your student account. You may submit your payment to the Office of Student Accounts, before or after it gets posted on your next tuition statement.

How can I get a non-dorm key (i.e. for lab use, etc)?

Please have the department that controls the use of the room fill out our Key Request Form.

How can I get people added to the authorization list for my swipe lock?

Academic Year Access

Students may submit a Card Swipe Authorization Form (PDF) to facilities and maintenance during the first week of each month throughout the fall and spring semester. Please note only one form per suite per month can be submitted. The facilities and maintenance staff will begin to process the forms during the second month of each semester, as processing academic access is priority during the start of the semester. Thereafter, facilities and maintenance will complete the processing of forms by the third week of every month throughout the academic school year. Each resident may authorize no more than ten friends to have access to their suite/room. The authorization form must include the authorizing names and signatures of all roommates/suitemates. Proctors and mentors are the only residents who have the option to allow all or more than 10 residents, of their own dorm, access to their suite/room.

Summer Access

Each student can request access for ten of their friends, during the summer, only if they live in a suite/dorm with a kitchen. The forms are due within the first week of each month during the summer. The facilities and maintenance staff will begin processing the forms in June, once the majority of summer room moves have been scheduled.

How long will swipe authorization last?

Swipe card authorization to your own dorm/suite will expire once you are expected to vacate the space. If you are a Harvey Mudd student and have authorization for other suites on campus, that access will last until the end of the academic year. If you have swipe card access to a non-dorm room, your access will last for the time period specified by the department controlling the room, typically one semester.

How does non-Harvey Mudd student swipe authorization work?

Non-Harvey Mudd students can be granted access by completion of a Non-HMC Card Swipe Form (PDF). These forms should be submitted to the ASHMC Senate chair. Please note, any student with visiting guests accepts responsibility for those guests’ behavior, and the guests are responsible for observing the regulations of Harvey Mudd College and other colleges in the Claremont community. Any person who has been invited, either explicitly or implicitly, to one of the colleges in the Claremont community by a member of ASHMC is defined to be a guest of that member.

How do I reserve a room for a meeting?

Room requests can be made through our Event Management System (EMS) website.

Where do I go to see the Lost and Found at HMC?

There are only two official lost and found locations on the Harvey Mudd campus: the F&M office in the Platt basement and the front desk of the Linde Activity Center. If you may have lost something in the LAC, then look there first, otherwise, all other lost and found items should be in the F&M office. The lost and found in the F&M office will be emptied once a year in June. You would be amazed how fast some things get turned in, so come to look at the lost and found!