Registration occurs via the Harvey Mudd College Portal. Students are responsible for enrolling in classes.
You will register for courses during a scheduled Orientation event. Representatives from the registrar’s office will be on hand to assist you.
Pre-registration typically occurs in November for the spring courses, and April for the fall courses. Pre-registration dates are available on the Academic Calendar. Before pre-registration, you will receive a registration card in your student box. Fill out the card with your intended courses and bring it with you when you meet with your advisor. All of your advisors must sign the card (First-year or major advisor(s) and HSA advisor). Once the card is signed, bring it to the registrar’s office to be cleared for registration. Note: You will not be able to register until you have been cleared. Once you have received clearance, the registration card will be returned to you for your reference. You will register at your assigned time (listed on the card) via the Harvey Mudd College Portal.
If a course is closed or requires instructor permission, you may submit request to enroll, called a “PERM.” Your request will go to the instructor, who has three options: to clear all restrictions and allow you add the course, to clear all restrictions only if there are seats left in the course, and to deny the PERM. You will receive an email notification of the instructor’s response; read it carefully to find out what type of permission you have. If the instructor cleared you to enroll only if seats are available, you will only be able to add the course if there are spots open. Some courses have limits on certain numbers of students from each school, or other categories such as major. If your category (i.e. “HMC students”), is full, and you have the “only if” permission, you will not be able to add even if there are open seats in other categories (i.e. PO students). Note: An approved PERM does not automatically add you to the course. You must still add the course yourself on the portal.
Some courses, such as independent studies and senior thesis, may require you to turn a form into the registrar’s office instead of adding on the portal. Be sure to read the notes on the portal carefully to see the requirements for adding a course. If it is an independent study or says “form required,” do not submit a PERM- instead, fill out the Independent Study form and turn it in to the registrar’s office.
- Requisites/Requirements: Check for prerequisites, corequisites, concurrent requisites, and other requirements.
- Non-Harvey Mudd College classes may have a limited number of seats for Harvey Mudd students, even if the section still has open seats.
- Time Conflict: Check for time conflicts between your selected classes.
- Slight overlaps may be resolved with a Class Conflict Approval Form available online or at the registrar’s office.
- All instructors for affected classes must sign the conflict approval form, even if the conflict is resolved by only one instructor.
- You must submit the signed form to the registrar’s office before you can add the second conflicting course via portal.
- Overload: Get your overload approval (if needed) from Academic Affairs (located in Platt Campus Center) before your pre-registration appointment time.
- Closed Classes: Monitor current enrollment status of desired classes on the portal for closed classes and request PERMS if necessary.