Party and Event Registration

Types of Parties

There are three types of parties at Harvey Mudd College:

  • 5-College
  • Mudd/Scripps
  • Private

Advertising Policies can be found in the ASHMC Social Committee’s “Party Planning Packet” and should be strictly followed.

Parties Where Alcohol is Served

Fences with guarded gates must enclose any party at which the alcohol is not contained indoors; no alcohol may enter or leave the party. There should be one toilet available inside the party for every 150 expected guests.

At any advertised party, the alcohol must be distributed by 21-year-old or older “servers,” who are typically trained in the TIPS Program. Servers will be paid for their services and may not drink alcohol during the party. It is the responsibility of the servers to check ID’s and monitor sobriety. Only those 21 or older will be served.

In accordance with state liquor laws, no admission may be charged for any party serving alcohol; however, party donations may be collected anywhere that advertising is allowed, but not in the direct vicinity of, or inside, the party.

Ending Parties

Parties not contained indoors must end by 1 a.m. and can only occur on weekends. Campus Safety reserves the right to break up any party. Note that the following guidelines may be amended or abbreviated by the Social Committee and the dean of students in special circumstances.

Party Registration

Chris Sundberg, the dean of campus life, oversees these activities with the help of Michael Edwards, the assistant dean of residential life. They advise student committees, handle party registration and follow-up, and approve posters and flyers when you are throwing an event. If you have any questions, Chris and Mike are available via email at and You can also find them hanging around in the division of student affairs office in Platt Campus Center.