Mathematics Faculty Positions
Tenure-Track Faculty Position
Department of Mathematics, Harvey Mudd College
Harvey Mudd College invites applications for a tenure-track position in mathematics, beginning Fall 2020, at the assistant professor level. All areas in the mathematical sciences will be considered, with priority for candidates who can significantly contribute to our course offerings and departmental vision for data science and statistics at a liberal arts college of science and engineering.
The successful candidate will have a Ph.D. by the time of appointment, demonstrated commitment to and excellence in teaching undergraduates, and a strong independent research program that can contribute to our many undergraduate research activities, which include summer research, senior thesis, and math-in-industry senior capstone projects. Harvey Mudd College is committed to broadening participation in STEM fields. Therefore, experience with or demonstrated ability to teach, mentor, and support students from historically underrepresented groups in STEM is among the criteria for appointment.
Harvey Mudd College is a highly selective liberal arts college of science, engineering and mathematics. It is located in Claremont, CA, which is approximately 35 miles east of Los Angeles, at the foot of the San Gabriel Mountains. All students enter having already taken calculus or beyond, and about two-thirds scored between 780 and 800 on their SAT 2 in Math. The college enrolls about 900 students, almost all of whom live on campus, and is a member of the Claremont Colleges, which comprises five undergraduate colleges, the Claremont Graduate University, and the Keck Graduate Institute of Applied Life Sciences. Harvey Mudd College is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the recruitment of candidates historically underrepresented on college faculties.
The Department of Mathematics at Harvey Mudd College has been recognized as a leader in teaching, research, undergraduate research mentoring, and educational outreach. Each year there are about 60 graduates in the mathematical sciences. The teaching load is five courses per year, which includes research supervision and courses in the college’s core curriculum. Further information about the college and the department can be found at http://www.hmc.edu/ and https://www.hmc.edu/mathematics/.
Applications must be submitted through the MathJobs.org website. Priority will be given to applications completed by November 20, 2019. Applicants should submit:
- A cover letter. To further assist the search committee in its screening process, all cover letters should address your interest in the liberal arts and Harvey Mudd College in particular, and how you envision your research and teaching interests can contribute to the department and College.
- A current curriculum vitae
- A statement about your research program, including potential research projects for undergraduates (typically 2-3 pages).
- A statement about your teaching philosophy: describe principles, practices, or experiences that inform the way you teach (typically 1-2 pages).
- A statement about diversity and inclusion: describe your interests, experiences, and future plans for promoting diversity and inclusion in the mathematical sciences (typically 1-2 pages).
- At least three letters of recommendation. At least one letter should specifically address teaching.
For further information or questions about the position contact:
Prof. Francis Su (email@example.com)
Chair, Tenure-Track Search Committee,
Department of Mathematics,
Harvey Mudd College
Claremont, CA 91711
MathJobs link: https://www.mathjobs.org/jobs/jobs/14111
Harvey Mudd College is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will be given consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic origin, ancestry, citizenship, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender (including gender identity and expression), marital status, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic characteristics, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.