Name Change Resources

Campus Name Change Form.

Name Change Information

Throughout this page, “legal name” refers to your name as it appears on a government-issued identification, such as a passport, driver’s license, etc., or a legal document such as a marriage certificate or court order. “Campus name” refers to the name you wish to be known by on campus. We use this terminology instead of “preferred name” or “chosen name” to signify that this name is not simply a choice or preference, but your lived reality while you are on campus.

Harvey Mudd College supports the use of campus names for students while maintaining the official, legal name required for academic records and data integrity. Students may elect to provide the College with their campus name recorded (first and last name only) which will be stored in several data systems across Claremont, and which will be used as widely as technically possible where the legal name is not required. To the best of the College’s ability, unless otherwise notified and where possible due to system and legal limitations, campus name also will be continuously used by the College (e.g., after graduation) and other Claremont Colleges. Please see below for more information on how the legal and campus names are used at Harvey Mudd College and the Claremont Colleges, and how you can change them.

Incoming Students

By default, the name you used on your application materials is presumed to be your legal name. If your application included another name (likely labeled “preferred name” on the Common App), then that name is recorded as your campus name. If you are an incoming first-year or transfer student, you can confirm your Campus First Name and Campus Last Name in the Enrollment Form within the HMC Applicant Hub. If you have already completed your Enrollment form and need to make updates, please email

Student information is transferred from the Office of Admission to the Office of the Registrar on July 31. It is helpful to change your campus name before July 31 as there will likely be fewer places displaying your campus name incorrectly. After July 31, update your Campus Name by completing the HMC Campus Name Form for Current Students.

Campus Name Changes for Enrolled Students

For most places where a campus name can be used, submitting the HMC Campus Name Form for Current Students form is sufficient. However, some places must be dealt with separately. At the bottom of this page, you’ll find a chart to help guide you through the campus name change process.

Legal Name Changes

Students wishing to change their legal name in their official academic record from the legal name of record under which they were admitted to the College must provide the registrar’s office with legal documentation (i.e.  court order, current driver’s license with photo, social security card, resident alien card, passport, official birth certificate, or marriage certificate) stating their legal name. Upon receipt and verification of this documentation, the registrar’s office will change the student’s legal name in the student’s official academic record.

The College can issue an updated diploma for a graduated student whose name has legally changed. The updated diploma will carry the date the degree was originally awarded, but official signatures may differ from those on the original document. To request an updated diploma, please see the Harvey Mudd College registrar’s office website. The standard replacement fee in effect at the time of the replacement order will apply.

Resource Guide

The information grid below is to help students understand where and how Campus Name can be used please read the information chart below:

System/ApplicationCampus NameUpdating Name Process Office to Contact Further Information
Campus NameYesUse the HMC Campus Name Form for Current Students.Registrar Please allow 2 business days for your request to be processed by the registrar’s office.
AdmissionsYesIncoming Students: You can confirm your Campus First and Last Name in the Enrollment Form within the HMC Applicant Hub. If you have already completed your Enrollment form and need to make updates, please email Admission admission@hmc.eduStudent information is transferred from the Office of Admission to the Office of the Registrar on July 31. After July 31, to update your Campus Name please complete the HMC Campus Name Form for Current Students.
IDsYesUse the HMC Campus Name Form for Current Students. After two business days, visit The Connection, which is located in the Honnold Mudd Library (First Floor), to have a new ID printed. Take your new ID to F&M at Mudd, which is located in the basement level of Platt for your tap access to be updated.Multiple offices assist with the updated ID process. For questions, email oid@hmc.eduCollege IDs will display campus names.
SakaiYesAfter completing a name change form, please email to request an update to your Sakai profile.CIS and PomonaEmailing CIS Help Desk ( automatically creates a work order ticket so that CIS staff can work on updating your Sakai profile.
MailroomYesThe mailroom receives names at the beginning of each semester to place on mailboxes. If you change your name mid-semester please submit the campus name change form and notify the mailroom.Registrar

Mail addressed to your legal name typically will be placed in your mailbox.

If you are ever missing mail, you may need to talk with the mailroom staff and ask them to check for mail under your legal name.
Tax StatementsNoLegal name and Human Resources (HR) If you have changed your legal name, email the Registrar to provide this information to them as soon as possible.

You also need to email HR prior to January, when W-2s are generated.
Student Accounts Legal DocumentsNoLegal name required.Student Accounts This includes: tuition payment agreement, W9, IRS statements, Student accounts statements.
Student Accounts CommunicationYesUse the change name form through the Office of the Registrar.Student Accounts Campus name and pronouns are used in communication with students and other HMC offices. Emails to parents/guardians default to legal name unless the parents/guardians have communicated with a different name.
Student accounts refund checksTBDStudent Accounts
TranscriptNoLegal name required.Registrar
Legal name is required. If you change your legal name after graduation, contact the Registrar to update your transcript.
DiplomaYesContact the Registrar.
Replacement diplomas can be requested by submitting the Replacement Diploma Order Form.
TCCS – Accounts Profile TBDTBDTBD 
Mudd shotsTBD   
HMC AppNo, but this should be changed soon.TBDDean Evetth, Assistant Dean for Campus Life evgonzalez@hmc.eduCurrently working with the app company to resolve this issue and allow for name edits.
Writing CenterYesLogin to the writing center site and change name through settings.Writing Center – Wendy Menefee-Libey You must login using the email address used with originally registering, from here you can change the email address used.
Alumni DirectoryTBDTBD  
Intramural sportsYesTBD  
Campus Name Usage Reference

Please contact us ( if you have further questions about specific offices.

Student Rights

Grievances about this process may be addressed to the Title IX office at

Reporting Concerns/Questions

If you have a concern about a deadnaming issue in any 7C system or application, and would like to report it, please fill out the Reporting Deadnaming Issues form. The information collected in this form will be accessible by the Deans in the Office of Institutional Diversity (OID) Deans. As needed, OID will share this information confidentially with the appropriate offices where there are identified issues.

If you have any questions, would like more information, or found that we have missed something in creating this guide, please contact the OID (

Additional Resources

Office of Institutional Diversity |

Veronica Clairmont, she/her/ella | Associate Dean of Institutional Diversity |

Office of the Registrar | | 909.621.8090

Danny Ledesma, he/him | Title IX Coordinator |

Bri Sérráno, he/him | Director of the Queer Resource Center of the Claremont Colleges (QRC) |