Teaching Observation Tips
Course Observation Tips
- Pick dates for the visits early in the semester.
- Meet ahead of time.
- Discuss what kind of feedback would be useful.
- Agree on level of confidentiality.
- Observe students as well as the instructor.
- Begin your feedback with what works well before sharing your perspective on how things could be different.
- “I noticed … can you tell me more about that approach?”
- Taking risks and experimenting could lead to failure, and that’s OK.
Advantages of Peer Observation (for both of you!)
- Develop as educators.
- Provide opportunities for self-reflection.
- Evaluate and discuss alternative teaching strategies.