Office of the Dean of Faculty
About the Dean’s Office
The Office of the Dean of the Faculty oversees the academic program, supports the faculty in their teaching and research, administers existing academic programs and explores new teaching and learning initiatives. We share in the College’s mission to provide a top-notch science and engineering education within a liberal arts context, so that our graduates are uniquely prepared to lead in their fields and understand their impact on society.
The Dean of the Faculty and Staff
Vice President and R. Michael Shanahan Dean of the Faculty
Assistant to the Dean
Other Offices Reporting to the Dean of the Faculty
Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
Marianne de Laet
Office (by appointment) Parsons 1275 or Division of Student Affairs
909.621.8125 (Kim Nykanen in DSA) 909.607.3812 (de Laet Parsons office)
email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Calendly link: http://calendly.com/delaet
- Collaborates with the Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs, the Associate Dean for Academic Resources and Student Success, and the Director of Learning Programs in providing support for student academic success.
- Serves as the ultimate academic adviser at the College.
Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs
Core Curriculum Director
- Oversees Core scheduling, staffing and assessment.
- Facilitates development of electives for first year students, both at Harvey Mudd and in the 5-Cs.
Associate Dean for Research and Experiential Learning
Sprague 4th Floor
- Spearheads and supports efforts to broaden the summer research and experiential learning program.
- Provides opportunities for faculty members to develop their ability to seek, obtain, and administer grants from external agencies.
- Works with the Research Committee to award internal college funding.
- Oversees the summer research program.
Associate Dean for Faculty Development and Diversity
Kathy Van Heuvelen
- Supports faculty development at all career stages.
- Serves as a faculty resource for diversity and inclusion efforts.
Director of Summer Programs and Special Projects
- Oversees the Summer Program.
- Manages special projects within the purview of the Dean of the Faculty’s Office including but not limited to projects related to accreditation, space and building, grants writing, budgeting, and visiting delegations.
Assistant Vice President of Institutional Research and Effectiveness
Laura Palucki Blake
- Partners with academic and administrative units to develop and manage comprehensive institutional research, assessment and strategic planning to support the curricular, analytical, informational, reporting needs of the college.
- Coordinates and manages the WASC accreditation process, including serving as the institution’s liaison to the accrediting agency; assisting in the implementation of programmatic and assessment modifications and improvements.
Aye Mon Htut-Rosales
- Works with a wide range of offices and individuals across campus to conduct, manage, and support the accurate and timely collection and dissemination of information across the college.
- Provides data and statistics to internal and external audiences and manages HMC’s program of teaching evaluations.
- Provides technical, organizational and analytical support for data reporting needs of the college.
- Works with both the Office of the Registrar and the Office of Institutional Research and Effectiveness to define, develop and document data resources and processes that support institutional planning, analysis and process improvement.
Senior Director of Corporate Relations
- Manages the College’s comprehensive corporate relations program to promote the College within the corporate sector.
- Works closely with clinic directors and the academic community in the implementation of the Clinic Program, including assembling the annual project portfolio.
- Develops partnership opportunities and funding sources to support college-based needs and programs.
- Coordinates special events, campus tours, and other corporate, sponsor and donor-related stewardship activities.
- Handles administrative and budget details for corporate relations unit.
Associate Director of Sponsored Programs and Grants
Senior Director of Learning Programs
- Oversees the Harvey Mudd Writing Center and stewards the College’s core writing program.
- Oversees the Academic Excellence Program.
Director of Study Abroad
- Oversees the Harvey Mudd Study Abroad Program.
- Organizes outreach and recruitment for the Harvey Mudd Study Abroad program.
- Develops and coordinates study abroad promotional programs, informational materials and various orientation sessions.
Director of Upward Bound
Angie Covarrubias Aguilar
- Supervises Upward Bound staff, conducting staff meetings, staff training and evaluation, and personnel management.
- Coordinates all programs and student academic assessment activities.
- Organizes outreach efforts to parents, target school staff, the Harvey Mudd community, local community organizations, summer mentors and supporting agencies and programs.