Academic Affairs for Incoming Students

Detailed information for first-year students about courses, advanced placement, and registration is available in the Academic Welcome Letter.

Advanced Placement

Given the nature of Harvey Mudd’s challenging curriculum, there are few courses for which AP or IB examinations afford placement credit. While a number of students will have some advanced placement from their prior experience, most first-year students will be enrolled in the default sequence of courses which begin at an appropriately advanced level, given the intial conditions of the entering class.

Many of Harvey Mudd’s academic departments offer Placement Exams in the fall before classes start. Students interested in taking a language course in their first semester will also have the opportunity to take a Placement Exam. Most students, however, will find that they have forgotten some material over the summer and may need to review previous studies in order to pass the relevant Harvey Mudd placement examinations.

Transfer Credit for College Courses

Students who desire advanced placement on the basis of work completed at an accredited college before matriculation to Harvey Mudd College must submit to the registrar an official transcript of their college record, after which they will be excused from such Harvey Mudd College courses as deemed appropriate by the relevant department(s).

Transfer credit awarded for courses comparable to Harvey Mudd College lower division courses is the same as that awarded by Harvey Mudd College in the courses from which the student is excused.

For other courses, the transfer credit is the same as the credit originally awarded (after conversion to semester units). Transfer credit for a course taken elsewhere may be revoked if the student later receives credit for a comparable Harvey Mudd course. Please be advised that the Department of Humanities, Social Sciences, and the Arts does not offer credit for any pre-matriculation college coursework.

Placement Forms

All placement forms and surveys will be (e)mailed to you during the summer.