Admitted Student Program
Harvey Mudd’s Admitted Student Program (ASP) is how we welcome you, our incoming admitted class, introduce you to HMC, answer your questions, and help you fall in love with our community.
The Admitted Student Program is scheduled as an in-person, one-day program taking place on April 10, 2022 from 9 am – 5 pm (with some informal student club activities happening until 6). Check-in will begin at 8 AM.
Please keep in mind that in the case that we see an unexpected rise of COVID that would put our current and incoming Mudd community members at risk, there is a possibility that an in-person program will not come to fruition. If ASP is to be cancelled, we hope to do so by March 30, 2022. The safety of students and guests is a priority for our team, so please consider the possibility of event cancellation when making your travel plans.
With all that being said, we are looking forward very much to hopefully seeing many of you on campus in April!
*Clicking “Register for ASP” will prompt admitted students to log into the HMC Applicant Hub. For issues regarding access to the HMC Applicant Hub, refer to our hub FAQs.
Financial Aid Appointments for Admitted Students
Starting on the day of ASP and in the days following, counselors from the Office of Financial Aid will be available for 30-minute appointments to discuss individual financial aid questions. If parents or family members wish to discuss a student’s financial aid award letter, the student will need to be present or the family can sign a Release of Liability form that will allow the office of financial aid staff to discuss the student’s financial aid award letter without the student present. Students can choose to speak to our financial aid counselors without their families.
Want to get pumped for ASP?
Check out our tentative schedule for ASP 2022:
|8–9:30 a.m.||Grab and go continental breakfast items available|
|9–9:30 a.m.||Opening Session: Official Class of 2026 Welcome|
|9:30–9:45 a.m.||Claremont Colleges Overview|
|9:45–10:30 a.m.||Curriculum and Advising Overview|
|10:45–11:15 a.m.||Clinic and Research Presentations|
|10:45–11:15 a.m.||Campus Tour #1 (out of three)|
|11:00 a.m.–6 p.m.||For Students: Activities Presented by Student Clubs and Organizations|
|11:30–11:50 a.m.||Mathematics Department Session|
|11:55 a.m.–12:15 p.m.||Chemistry Department Session|
|12–1:30 p.m.||Lunch available|
|12:15–12:45 p.m.||Dedicated Lunch Break|
|12:45–1:15 p.m.||Campus Tour #2 (out of three)|
|12:55–1:15 p.m.||Computer Science Department Session|
|1:20–1:40 p.m.||Biology Department Session|
|1:45–2:05 p.m.||Physics Department Session|
|2:10–2:30 p.m.||Engineering Department Session|
|2:45–3:15 p.m.||Mathemagics! with Art Benjamin|
|3:30–4 p.m.||Campus Life Panels for Students with Current HMC Students|
|3:30–4 p.m.||Panels for Parents and Families|
(Options: Faculty, Current HMC Parents, HMC Student Leaders)
|4:15–5 p.m.||Student Resources Fair with DSA|
|4:30–5 p.m.||Campus Tour #3 (out of three)|
Enjoy these Mudd in a Minute videos:
Admitted Student Program FAQ
When should I get there and when do I leave? What about my family members?
The program starts at 9 a.m. on Sunday, April 10, and check-in begins at 8 a.m. in Thomas Garrett and Booth Plazas on Harvey Mudd College’s campus. Luggage storage will be available during check-in for those who need it. The day’s scheduled programming ends at 5 PM, with some student clubs having informal events up until 6 PM. We understand that our visiting students and families are accommodating travel plans and may leave the program early to meet their travel needs.
There will be programming for students and families to enjoy throughout the day. You will see in our schedule that at times, multiple program offerings occur at once. We want our guests to create an experience for themselves that best fits their interests and hopes for the day. Students and families may choose to stay together, separate to attend different programs, or do a mix of both!
What should we expect at ASP?
We ask you to keep in mind that our campus is small. The number of admitted students we anticipate is akin to adding a fifth class of students to the campus. However, also note that our students, faculty and staff are hospitable and are eager to meet and welcome you. Events will take place in indoor and outdoor environments, with food provided in outdoor settings.
What about the Honor Code?
As you may know, the College is governed by an Honor Code. This affects all interactions here, both academic and social. As our guest (and hopefully a future Mudder), we ask that you respect the community and the responsibility that comes with the freedom our Honor Code affords.
What will I eat?
We will provide continental breakfast items (pastries, fruit, coffee, tea, water) during check-in from 8 – 9:30 AM. Bagged lunches will also be provided from 12 – 1:30 PM. Please specify any dietary restrictions during ASP registration. Students and families staying in the evening or overnight before or after ASP will find tasty bites in The Village and throughout the local area.
For folks choosing to stay in Claremont overnight, are there any specific hotel blocks for this event?
Harvey Mudd does not organize blocks at any specific hotels for ASP. Feel free to check out our lodging and transportation page for more information.
What should I bring to ASP?
If you are unable to upload proof of vaccination, including booster, or results for a negative test (form to submit these will be sent 48 hours prior to the event), you will need to bring these to check-in. All guests should also bring a photo ID to present at check in to match guests to their records.
Feel free to bring some spending money in case you want to go to our cafe (debit/credit only), the bookstore or for any emergencies.
Though not required, some guests like to bring a pen/paper.
What if I’m arriving on campus after 11 a.m. on Sunday, April 10?
Once you are on campus, you will need to check in at the Office of Admission in the R. Michael Shanahan Center for Teaching and Learning.
What if I have to cancel my registration?
If your plans have changed for the weekend, let us know as soon as possible. You can cancel your registration via your registration link or by contacting our office at 909.621.8011 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I get there?
Please visit our Lodging and Transportation page for more information. More information on parking will be sent in event reminder emails as the program gets closer.
Can I meet with Financial Aid during ASP?
Yes. During ASP, counselors from the Office of Financial Aid will be available for 30-minute appointments to discuss individual financial aid questions. If parents or family members wish to discuss a student’s financial aid award letter, the student will need to be present or the family can bring a signed Release of Liability form that will allow the office of financial aid staff to discuss the student’s financial aid award letter without the student present. Students can choose to speak to our financial aid counselors without their families.
COVID-19 Visit Protocols
Per current Harvey Mudd College community guidelines:
- All guests visiting campus are required to show a complete series of COVID-19 vaccination proof, including the COVID-19 booster shot for those who are eligible. In lieu of a completed vaccination series, the college will also accept a negative COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) that should be taken no earlier than 72 hours prior to your visit. Visitors will be asked to upload or physically present their COVID-19 vaccination record or negative test. After your visit to campus, our office will discard all submitted documentation.
- 48 hours prior to your visit to HMC, you will receive a Symptom Screening form. All members of your party will be asked to complete the same Symptom Screening form and must each provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination or negative test. We will also ask each member of your party to present a photo ID at check-in. The ID will be used to match guests with their vaccination record or test. A photo ID can be a school ID or a state/government issued ID.
- Understand that you (and your party) might not be allowed to join our program if your proof of vaccination or test is not deemed adequate by our staff. We accept a physical vaccination card as well as digital proof of vaccination including phone apps that display the date each vaccine dose was administered.
- Due to an increase of COVID-19 cases across the Claremont Colleges, guests are required to wear masks at all times (indoors and outdoors, except when eating or drinking).
- We recommend that you maintain social distance when possible and follow proper hand hygiene guidelines.
- We ask that you do not visit if you are experiencing any symptoms associated with COVID-19, have a current COVID-19 diagnosis, or have had any known contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19 in the last 10 days.
- Please follow directions of our staff and other Claremont Colleges personnel.
Can’t attend ASP, but still want to visit?
We’d love to have you!
If you haven’t toured already, please register for a campus tour. Our tours are led by student guides who can provide you with an insider’s perspective on all things Mudd! At the moment, campus tours will only take place outdoors due to our Covid-19 regulations and protocols. Please indicate that you are an admitted student on the tour registration form so that we may connect you with a member of our community before or after your tour.
If you have already toured our campus, we’re still happy to connect you with a member of our community. Generally speaking, we’re available Monday to Friday between 9 AM – 12 PM and 1 – 4:30 PM and are available for 15-minute appointments. Keep in mind that 15 minutes is only a baseline; we can certainly be available for longer, but it depends on visitor traffic and staff/student availability. Please email email@example.com with your plans (i.e. date and time), and we’ll help you arrange your visit.
Other ways to learn about Harvey Mudd
- Stay in-the-know of all things Mudd with our @hmcadmission Instagram account, admission blog, and HMC TikTok.
- Enjoy a glimpse of Harvey Mudd! Check out our playlist:
- Hear from student mentors as they reflect on their favorite classes, places and things: