HMC Response to Charlottesville Events

Share story

Faculty, Staff and Students,

I know many of you join me in feeling disappointment, shock and anger at last weekend’s events in Charlottesville, Virginia. The racism, anti-Semitism and outright hatred that fueled the violence and led to the deaths of three people is in direct opposition to this country’s values and to Harvey Mudd’s vision to create a supportive, diverse and inclusive learning environment and community.

Despite these challenging times, I look forward to reuniting with everyone on campus to continue our work toward building a more inclusive learning community. You will hear more in the coming weeks about our work over the summer and plans for this fall. This work includes preparation for reviewing the Core Curriculum and providing additional opportunities for faculty, staff and students to get involved.

As students return to campus and we welcome our newest Mudders, I also encourage everyone to reach out to those in the community who you know may be particularly struggling in the wake of these events to let them know they are supported and valued members of the Harvey Mudd College community. I look forward to seeing you all very soon.

Sincerely,
Maria

Maria M. Klawe
President, Harvey Mudd College