We invite students from the 5-Cs to join our Upward Bound tutoring team and motivate dedicated high school students from the East San Gabriel Valley! All 5-C students interested in volunteering are encouraged to apply for one ofour 60 tutoring positions each semester. Additionally, we consider applicants from all 5-C students with a work-study allotment (HMC, CMC, Pitzer or Scripps) and all Pomona students.
Various Shifts Available
- Saturday: 8–10:45 a.m., only nine Saturdays throughout the semester. Work with the same 2–3 students every session (at Harvey Mudd College)
- Wednesdays and/or Thursdays: 2:15–6 p.m., join a team of tutors at our weekly study hall sessions (at various high schools) from 3–5 p.m. These shifts are extended past the actual tutoring time to compensate for transportation time. Transportation is provided from the 5-Cs to the high school and back.
- Thursday: 2:40–6 p.m.. For those who can’t arrive at 2:15 p.m., we have a second shift on Thursday for those interested in tutoring.
- Commit to the same shift.
Compensation and Training
- Upward Bound pays the hourly rate approved by your college.
- No experience required!
- Mandatory training provided before start date.
How to Apply
Read through the Job Description (PDF).
Complete the the New Tutor Application (Fillable PDF) and email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Call the Upward Bound office at 909.621.8123 as soon as possible to schedule a brief interview. We conclude hiring within the first couple of weeks of each semester’s start.