HMC Expert: Geoff Kuenning
Geoff Kuenning, PhD, researches file systems. His most visible project is the SNIA IOTTA Trace Repository, a compendium of trace data used by file systems researchers worldwide. Kuenning contributed to the development of a memory-based file system; a study of file size distributions; and a system for detecting insider misbehavior by observing file access patterns. Before that, he built the SEER predictive hoarding system, which allows mobile users to ensure that they will have the files they need to work while disconnected. The success of SEER demonstrated that prediction is possible and can have a significant impact on computer systems.
Kuenning teaches courses on data structures and program development, operating systems, file systems and computer systems performance analysis. He also serves as an expert witness due to his extensive experience in industry and research in file systems.
- Geek.com, 11/8/18 5 Things You Didn’t Know About the Nutcracker Ballet
- hmc.edu, 8/8/17 NSF Grant Supports Storage System Research
- Los Angeles Times, 4/29/17 Ajit Pai Isn’t Helping Engineers or Innovators by Walking Back Net Neutrality
- Los Angeles Times, 2/19/16 Why Airlines’ Frequent-flier Programs Are Now Rewarding Big Spenders
- hmc.edu, 4/7/15 Faculty Receive Awards for Mentoring and Curricular Engagement
- hmc.edu, 10/8/13 Grants Support Computer Science Research