NOAA Scholar to Study Computational Earth Science

Inspired by his friends and professors at Harvey Mudd College, computer science and mathematics major William Yik ’24 decided to apply for a National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration 2022  Ernest F. Hollings Undergraduate Scholarship, which he was recently awarded.

The scholarship includes a 10-week paid internship in summer 2023. “I’ll be able to choose from a list of projects across various NOAA offices in October of this year,” says Yik. “I’m interested in interning with the National Environmental Satellite, Data and Information Service or the National Weather Service.”

In addition to the internship, Hollings Scholars receive a two-year academic scholarship for their junior and senior years and funding to participate in two national scientific conferences.

“I’m most excited to work with a senior NOAA scientist on a project related to computational earth science,” says Yik, adding that his work with computer science professor George Montañez taught him to conduct and communicate computer science research, and a climate change course with Lelia Hawkins, chemistry professor and director of the Hixon Center for Climate and the Environment, inspired him to look for computer science-oriented opportunities within earth science fields.

“NOAA has a lot of fascinating work being done to understand each part of the Earth from arctic sea ice to space weather, so I’m looking forward to applying my computational skills to make contributions to such interesting research,” says Yik.