Arthur Benjamin, PhD, Smallwood Family Professor of Mathematics, is recognized nationally for his ability to perform rapid mental calculations.
He has lectured and performed for audiences around the world and is the only living American with a biography in The Great Mental Calculators, Past and Present. He has published several books on how to make math both fun and easy.
He is also a professional “mathemagician” and frequently performs at the Magic Castle in Hollywood and nationwide.
- hmc.edu, 1/4/19 Math and Magic
- hmc.edu, 9/26/17 Bingo Paradox
- Inverse, 8/2/17 How to Throw the Best Party Ever, Using Math
- hmc.edu, 12/13/16 Mathemagician Art Benjamin to Receive Public Outreach Award
- hmc.edu, 1/14/16 Benjamin’s Book Ranked Among the Best
- ValueWalk, 1/9/16 Five Good Questions: Art Benjamin – the Magic of Math
- Scientific American, 12/15/15 The Magic of Math Lets You Have Your Pi and Eat It, Too
- Claremont Courier, 10/12/15 Harvey Mudd Professor Brings Magic Touch to Math
- Smithsonian, 9/8/15 From Poof to Proof: Inside the Mind of a Mathemagician
- hmc.edu, 9/1/15 Benjamin’s Book Has Appeal for Math Lovers and Math Phobics
- hmc.edu, 2/6/15 Benjamin Co-authors Book on Graph Theory
- The New York Times, 4/7/14 Art Benjamin’s Mental Math
- hmc.edu, 2/6/13 British Magic Journal Features HMC Professor
- NPR, 1/10/12 A Unique Expression of Love for Math
- Huffington Post, 8/11/11 ‘Mathemagician’ Breaks Down ‘The Magic of Math’
- The Colbert Report, 1/27/10 Stephen Colbert interviews Art Benjamin on The Colbert Report
- The New York Times, 12/30/09 “Ta Da!”
- Video: Art Benjamin’s TED Talk