Harvey Mudd Hosts Cube Contest

Share story

[hmc-video video_id=”rdIObxL8vBY” title=”Cube Competition at Harvey Mudd College”]

Adam Walker ’22 and the Office of Community Engagement organized a World Cube Association competition on campus Feb. 2. Harvey Mudd students Delaney Cohn ’22, Eric Brandon Chavez ’22, Jason Chen ’22, Kyra Clark ’22, Ryan Martinez ’22, Shanni Lam ’22, Sidney Cozier ’20 and Jacky Lee ’20 joined the competition, which drew more than 100 cubers.

students working on cubes

Adam Walker ’22, Shanni Lam ’22 and Jason Chen ’22 at the World Cube Association competition

“My motivation for cubing is the community,” says Walker, who has been solving cube puzzles since he was 10. Walker placed in the top 10 in several events, including coming in sixth in the 3x3x3 with a time of 8.91 seconds. “I really want to organize more competitions at Mudd,” he says. “All of my friends were saying what a great venue it was. This is one of the reasons why I chose Mudd—I can do stuff like this and people think it’s cool. It’s so great to have such a supportive community.”

student with cube

Delaney Cohn ’22 solves a cube at the WCA event

student with cube

Ryan Martinez ’22 works a cube