Student Accounts FAQs

How and when do I get a bill?

Billing statements are available online and are not mailed.  Email notifications are sent as a courtesy to the email addresses listed on the Tuition Payment Agreement (PDF).  Billing statements are generated monthly for students with current or past due unpaid charges. Billing statements are also generated for students with credit balances and for students with zero balance accounts if charges or refunds were posted, reversed, or paid during the previous month.

What if I I don’t have a bill on the portal?

Statements are not generated if there has been no activity and your account has a zero balance. If you do not have a bill and you believe you should have, contact the Office of Student Accounts at 909.621.8107 during regular business hours, or email

How do I view my account online?

You can check your account from your student portal at any time. To do so, log in to the portal homepage. Click on the Student Account Info tab.  Click on the View Billing Statements link. Select the statement desired. The statement will open in a new browser window. (Make sure your pop-up blocker is disabled.)

What do I do if my bill is wrong?

If you believe your bill is incorrect, contact the Office of Student Accounts immediately to determine the correct amount due. DO NOT WAIT FOR A CORRECTED INVOICE. Make sure payment is received by the due date (20th day of the month billed) to avoid late payment penalties.

When are the due dates?

Payments are due upon receipt and become delinquent on the 20th day of the month billed. Postmarked dates are not considered.

Does HMC offer a payment plan?

Yes, families have the option of paying the amount due each semester by one of two options: Full Payment Plan or Monthly Payment Plan.

Do you accept credit cards?

No, we do not accept credit card payments. Payments must be made in the form of personal check, eCheck, cashier’s check, money order, or traveler’s check.

I have an outside scholarship that my donor mailed to me. What do I do with the check?

Please be sure that your name and ID# are referenced on the check. If the check is made payable to you and Harvey Mudd College, you will need to endorse the check and then either mail or bring it to the Office of Student Accounts.
Harvey Mudd College, Office of Student Accounts, 301 Platt Boulevard, Claremont, CA 91711, please do not mail it to the lockbox.

We will then deposit the check and credit the funds to your student account.

Why is my scholarship not reflected on my student account?

If you have a scholarship from a private donor, you must notify the Office of Financial Aid of the source and amount so that it can be included in your aid package. That amount will reflected as expected financial assistance on your student account. If the funds are not received from your donor by October 15 for the fall semester or March 15 for the spring semester, the expected financial assistance amount will be reversed from your account and become your responsibility.

Do you accept payment via electronic fund transfer (EFT)?

Yes, we do accept tuition payment by EFT. For more information, please contact the Office of Student Accounts.

What is the 1098-T?

Form 1098-T Tuition Statement provides information regarding the amount of payments received for qualified tuition and related fees, and the amount of scholarships and grants administered and processed during the calendar year for the student’s costs of attendance by Harvey Mudd College. It is intended to assist the student and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) in determining if the student is eligible to claim higher education tax credits.

What are “qualified tuition and related expenses” on the 1098-T?

Qualified tuition and related fees are tuition and related expenses required to be paid for enrollment or attendance at an eligible educational institution. Fees required to be paid as a condition of enrollment or attendance meet the requirement of qualified tuition and related expenses. It does NOT include books, supplies, equipment, room and board, insurance, medical expenses, transportation or other personal or living expenses.

How do I determine if I am eligible for these tax credits?

Please read IRS Publication 970, call the IRS at 800.829.1040 or contact a tax advisor for information on how to determine if you qualify for one of the tax benefits. The Office of Student Accounts is not qualified to give tax advice.

I graduated/attended last spring. Why didn’t I receive a 1098-T?

The IRS requires the reporting institution to report payments received for qualified charges. Since payments are due in December for those who select the full payment plan, if there were no payments received for qualified tuition and related expenses, or no scholarships and grants received in the tax year of the 1098-T, no form will be generated. The College is required to report activity by calendar year and not by academic year. Box #7 on the 1098-T form will be checked when there are amounts included in the total of Box #1 that represent a semester that starts in a future tax year.