A Centralized Faculty Assistant Program to Aid in Faculty Work-Life Balance
Goal: To provide Harvey Mudd College faculty members with easy access to student assistance on occasional and/or short-term tasks and projects.
Nature of Work Supported
- Clerical – such as copying course documents or research articles, scanning documents, preparing packages or envelopes for mailing, filing, etc.
- Computational – installing software, data entry, bibliographic preparations for courses, internet searches, etc.
- Multimedia Assistance – creating/editing web pages, photo editing, video creation/editing, etc.
- Manual – such as re-organizing iClickers in numerical order after a class, boxing up books or research journals, retrieving books or articles from the library
Nature of Work Not Supported
Assistance with faculty research such as laboratory activities, analysis of data and/or primary/secondary sources; personal errands such as picking up laundry, etc.; activities requiring examination of confidential documents or grades; any activities requiring driving on or off-campus, etc.
Features of Program
- Online submission of faculty requests – each faculty member guaranteed 20 hours of paid service per semester (subject to ongoing funding availability)
- Students need not be work-study eligible to participate
- Student coordinators monitor both requests and completion of tasks
The ProfSOS General Procedure
- Professor submits request
- Students select tasks of interest
- Coordinator sets up email thread
- Professor and student decide on time(s) when task should be completed.
- Student reports that task is completed and number of hours spent.
- Professor confirms completion and hours.
Faculty: Complete the Prof SOS Task Request Form.
Thank you for taking part in the ProfSOS program, we appreciate any and all feedback! Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional questions may be directed to the chair of the faculty at email@example.com