Harvey Mudd Apker Awards
The LeRoy Apker Award recognizes outstanding achievements in physics by undergraduate students, and provides encouragement to young physicists who have demonstrated great potential for future scientific accomplishment. Two awards are presented each year, one to a student from a Ph.D. granting institution, and one to a student from a non-Ph.D. granting institution. The award consists of $5,000 for the recipient, $5,000 for their undergraduate institution’s physics department to support undergraduate research, a certificate, and reimbursement for travel to an APS meeting to give an invited talk.
Six finalists are also selected to present their research for the Apker Award Selection Committee. Each of the finalists receives an honorarium of $2,000, $1,000 for their undergraduate institution’s physics department to support undergraduate research, reimbursement for travel to the selection meeting, and a certificate.
Apker Award Winners
- Calvin Leung ’17 (mathematics and physics), awarded 2017
- Stephanie Moyerman ’06 (mathematics and physics), awarded 2006
- Nathaniel Stern ’03 (physics), awarded 2003
- Gwen (Bell) Porter ’98 (physics), awarded 1998
Apker Award Finalists
- Jaron P. Kent-Dobias ’14 (physics), finalist 2014
- Neal C. Pisenti ’11 (physics), finalist 2011
- Andrew P. Higginbotham ’09 (physics), finalist 2009
- Gregory Minton ’08 (physics), finalist 2008
- Joseph Checkelsky ’04 (physics), finalist 2004